[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - CB Seahorse Sources

CB Seahorse Sources

CB Seahorse Sources

Postby Colby » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:13 am

Welcome,

It is important to note that as of May 15th, 2004 the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) placed trade restrictions on all Hippocampus species. Due to certain collection restrictions placed on harvesting WC (Wild Caught) Seahorses they are rarely if ever available in the aquarium trade.

In lieu of WC specimens I would like to start a list of sources that provide CB (Captive Bred) seahorses. Aside from being more ecologically responsible, purchasing CB Seahorses generally eliminates the difficulty in training to eat frozen food as well as the fact that CB specimens normally do not contain any pathogens. There are numerous sources providing many different species of seahorses. In addition to any one of the pre-established companies there are also many up-and-coming hobbyists breeding multiple species that are viable options for broodstock pairs.

Some of the available sources:

Seahorse Source

www.seahorsesource.com

H. Abdominalis
H. Barbouri
H. Breviceps
H. Erectus
H. Ingens
H. Kuda
H. Zosterae

Draco Marine

www.Dracomarine.org

H. Reidi
H. Erectus
H. Kuda

Ocean Rider

www.oceanrider.com
aka... www.Seahorse.com

H. Erectus (Many variations upon the species)
H. Barbouri
H. Capensis
H. Reidi
H. Zosterae
H. Ingens
H. Whitei
H. Kuda
H. Procerus

Marine Depot

www.marinedepotlive.com

H. Erectus
H. Kuda
H. Reidi
H. Barbouri
H. Abdominalis

Ocean Reefs & Aquariums

www.orafarm.com (Wholesale only, available through lfs)

H. Kuda
H. Reidi

South Australia Seahorse Farm

www.saseahorse.com

H. Abdominalis
H.Whitei
H. Tuberculatus

That's it, I am not aware of any other sources of CB seahorses, however if I missed anything please let me know. Although some of the companies listed are wholesale only most good lfs's will be able to order from them for you.

A word of caution
: Be aware that some seahorses though sold as CB will not always eat frozen food. Nor does it mean they will be as "disease free" as other sources. In many instances these fish are raised in either large ocean pens or large concrete vats. Although this can still be a viable source of broodstock keep in mind the risks of pathogens and refusal to eat live food. Simply asking a few questions about the fish your are purchasing is a great way to prepare properly for their residence in your tank.
Colby

Postby urbanrat84 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:55 pm

Seahorse Australia

H. abdominalis/bleekeri
H. barbouri
H. breviceps
H. kuda (these are actually H. taeniopterus)
H. whitei

Seahorse Sanctuary

H. angustus
H. barbouri
H. reidi
urbanrat84

Postby Spracklcat » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:43 pm

Update: Draco is no longer in operations; their last seahorses went out a month or so ago. Also, be aware FWIW that some of the above listed are distributors (Marine Depot for one ) while others are breeding facilities.
Spracklcat

Postby David M » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:08 pm

I would like to put myself on the source list. While I do personally have extensive experience breeding and raising H. erectus these are not mine, I am distributing for Carslabad Aquafarms. For more info click the link below.
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Postby medtnerfan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:28 pm

Killian
medtnerfan

Re: CB Seahorse Sources

Postby konradzior » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:32 am

"Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." [W. Groom]
konradzior

Postby KoiCarp » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:30 pm

KoiCarp

Postby FishboyBT » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:10 pm

Beth at seahorse corral (Seahorsecorral.com) has some very beautiful and healthy seahorses. She is currently breeding H.erectus (southern variety), and H.zosterae.
-Blake
FishboyBT

Postby Rook » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:40 am

I was looking at trying Hippocampus capensis. Oceanrider is out. Any other sources? If not, I may go with Erectus.
Rook

Postby silverseahorse » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:49 am

There are not any at the moment especially if you are avoiding OR. Erectus are your easiest species that are easily available to you. Whitei are even easier, but they are temperate.
silverseahorse

Postby TMiller1468 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:11 am

Please also add me to the list. I have been raising Hippocampus Erectus and Reidi for 3 years now.

I currently have Erectus for sale. This batch of Reidis are still too young.

I dont have a website yet, but am in the process of building one. If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me through here for pricing/availability.

Thanks

Tod
TMiller1468

Return to Hippocampus - Seahorses