[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - Mystery Larvae

Mystery Larvae

Mystery Larvae

Postby unagiman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Hello all I am new to MOFIB but certainly not new to reefing.

Last night I found a swarm of larvae in my tank after lights out, I set up my larvae snagger and caught them all...

I have had a peppermint shrimp spawn before (was not set up well enough to grow them out :cry: ) and these new larvae look completely different to the pepp larvae.

here are some (rubbish) photos taken down my microscope lense,

they are longer than peppermint shrimp larvae and are red in colour, it isn't so easy to see in the photos but the have red spots on the carapace.
They move differently to peppermint shrimp larvae too, they jump around by flicking their tails, kind of reminds me of the way mosquito larvae move

Any ideas as to what I have caught??
unagiman

Re: Mystery Larvae

Postby JimWelsh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:40 pm

They are Mysid Shrimp (Mysidopsis bahia). viewtopic.php?f=144&t=6235&p=58280
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region:

Postby Luis A M » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:27 am

Yes,you can see the pouch in the lateral view.I haven´t seen such a red colour.And I didn´t know they were atracted to light and that they can be snagged in the trap.Other people´s experiences?
You should try and breed them.Feed them bbs.
Oh,and welcome to MOFIB! :D
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Amie » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:10 am

This looks like a hermit crab larvae to me. Any chance you have lots of hermits in your tank?

Amie

State/Region:

Postby unagiman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:35 am

I have a lot of little hermits in my tank, I have put them in a small tank and will attempt to grow them out, have to go away for the weekend so don't predict success but we shall see!
unagiman

Postby Amie » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:02 pm

That would explain it then. I'm with Luis about the mysids, I've never seen them attracted to light, I see them hiding in the darkest places in my tank...with their tiny little juvis. I've tried to catch them with all sorts of traps and other tricks but they are smart little buggers.

Catching hermit larvae, on the other hand, is simple. I get them all the time when I catch fish and shrimp larvae. I've been able to get them to about 20 days, but I wasn't trying too hard. They were just in with my cleaner shrimp and seemed to do just fine on brine shrimp nauplii. The key with this is, you have to have itsy-bitsy shells for them to crawl into when they settle. If you have ever had snails hatch in your tank, you might be able to find their tiny shells laying around.
Amie

State/Region:

Return to Larva