What did I catch???

What did I catch???

Postby Scma » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:54 pm

I was trying to catch clownfish larvae but I pretty much caught everything except clownfish... About 1/4 of what I caught were Lysmata amboinensis and the other 3/4... I have no idea what they are.

Here's a picture of them, the best I could do. The one in the middle came into focus best and is a perfect profile view of it. To the northwest of it is a shrimp larvae, for size reference. The only other inverts I have in that tank are various hermit crabs, emerald crabs, astrea snails and turbo snails. It cannot be a fish larvae unless the hawkfish or wrasse decided to go asexual.

And here's a basic drawing of it:

Defining characteristics:
Attracted to light
Yolk sac present
Seemingly well developed eyes; very much resemble newly hatched clownfish larvae eyes
Very Active Swimmers
Swim in the middle to top water range
Seem to cluster in groups - in the larval tank they are mostly gathered in two large groups on either side of the tank

For the time being they're in a larval tank with the shrimp and i'm giving them rotifers with nanno. Wasn't expecting shrimp so I had no BBS, but as soon as the BBS hatch i'll give them all some of that as well.

Thanks for any help!
Scma

Re: What did I catch???

Postby Anthony Calfo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:01 pm

a brief aside... but if you are in a pinch for BBS and you have a LFS that sells adult brine shrimp locally, the old trick is to have a mesh net (typical fish net) and a nylon (brine shrimp) net in each hand. From the holding tank take a big scoop with the course net and then quickly catch the draining water under it with the nylon net, of course. Its a quick way to separate BBS from a tank of adult Artemia. I'm lucky that my local aquarium shop has been selling bagged adult Artemia since I was a child. They have saved many fish spawns for me when I was not ready with BBS. If this doesn't help you, my friend... perhaps it will help others passed along. FWIW :)
Aquarium hobby and aquatic science author and publisher. Micro hatchery operator (marine fishes and invertebrates).
Consultant - contact at www.ReadingTrees.com
Anthony Calfo

Postby Scma » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:16 pm

Good tip! Except my LFS is closed on mondays! They'll have to eat rotis!
Scma

Postby Scma » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:34 pm

Here's a better picture.

Scma

Postby Luis A M » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Crab larvae. 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Scma » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:47 pm

Thanks Luis. I had a sneaking suspicion they were emerald crab larvae.
Scma

Return to Larva