[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - What type of larva is this?

What type of larva is this?

What type of larva is this?

Postby kodiak » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:33 am

Any ideas what this is? After lights out tonight I found dozens of these swimming around the tank. They are around 2-3mm.

kodiak

Re: What type of larva is this?

Postby FuEl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:00 am

Those are mysid shrimp. Also known as possum shrimp.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Luis A M » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Luis
Luis A M

Postby D3monic » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:42 am

Cool. Wish I had some in my tank. I have been wanting to get some to culture for a while.
Mike,

The only thing they can get me for is running a funeral parlor without a license- Gacy

Proud member of JARC (joliet area reef club)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdcuF4Wkcl8 Current Mood.
D3monic

Postby Luis A M » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:53 pm

They frequently show in LFS old reef tanks,or in their LR holding tank.You need to ask permission to go siphon out some... :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby kodiak » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:00 am

Cool, I am going to collect a bunch of these and see if I can get a culture going. How big do they grow? I wonder how they got into my tank I haven't introduced anything new in a long time.
kodiak

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:25 am

They've probably been living in there, somewhere they were safe. It's as the colony starts to grow that you start seeing them move away from relative safety to more marginal areas (and, hence, you start seeing them more).
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Luis A M » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:50 pm

Right.They come with LR.They don´t have nauplii or larvae that could come with other stuff.
I don´t know how you catch them,but IME a siphon is the best way. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Larva