[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - getting started

getting started

getting started

Postby lionelj » Tue May 11, 2010 4:19 pm

Can anyone direct me on how to set up a small, first breeding system. I'm not looking for anything like twenty tanks for brood stock, but just something to get started with. I've had a reef tank for about eighteen months and it's doing well, but I think I want to go beyond that and try breeding. Direction, books, drawings, suggestions - anything would help. Let me add, this is my first post, though I've been reading a lot for the past few weeks. What everyone else seems to consider a "small" system seems quite daunting at this point.
lionelj

Re: getting started

Postby JimWelsh » Tue May 11, 2010 4:32 pm

First question I think you need to answer is, "What do I want to breed"? Let's start there.
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region:

Postby Agathos » Tue May 11, 2010 4:33 pm

I think you've come to the right place :)

What species do you plan to breed?
Agathos

Postby lionelj » Tue May 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Um, gee... I suppose that would be a good question! I guess I was putting the tank ahead of the fish. Is there a more easy fish I could sort of learn the basics with, or all of them different. If I had my druthers, I really think Green Mandarins are fantastic, but I couldn't even tell a male from a female.
lionelj

Postby Agathos » Tue May 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Agathos

Postby lionelj » Tue May 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks, Ag. I have some "nemos' in my tank now and the lfs guy told me they could actually breed in the tank, though I have seen no evidence. I would like to start with some hope of success, so assuming they are more easily bred than others - where do I go from here?
lionelj

Postby Agathos » Tue May 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Agathos

Postby lionelj » Tue May 11, 2010 5:15 pm

Wow! I just sort of skimmed the Overview- I have a bunch to read. Thanks for the direction. So, you think it best that I just wait and see what happens in the reef tank, rather than set them up in another tank by themselves. I mean, I really don't even know what I'd be looking for if they bred. And, I have three: a large, medium and small. Am I correct that the large one is the female, and the medum, who seems to swim around pretty much where she does, is likely her mate?
lionelj

Postby Agathos » Wed May 12, 2010 1:16 am

Agathos

Postby lionelj » Wed May 12, 2010 9:24 am

Agathos,
My clowns are a.ocellaris, not Clark's. The third one, the smallest, is pretty much ignored. I see no hostility toward it by any of the tankmates, and during feeding it is right in there with everyone else. But, it does not stay with the other two and is usually swimming by itself. I've not seen any of the mating signs you have described other than the two staying in pretty close proximity - I'll have to watch closer. I realized that I really need to understand all this better, and have ordered Hoff's book as well as Wittenrich's. I get kind of crazy involved in a subject and I love books, so this will probably be the beginning of a library on the subject. I realize I have a lot of questions and much I don't know that I don't know, so perhaps reading up on breeding before I go much further is the best course. Might even convince me to just stay with my reef tank and let nature take it's course. I'll keep you posted! Thanks for yor support and encouragement.
Lionel
lionelj

Postby Agathos » Wed May 12, 2010 9:36 am

Agathos

Postby lionelj » Wed May 12, 2010 11:29 am

That sounds like a plan! And - don't you ever sleep?!?! :lol: I have been looking around MOFIB, still getting used to the set-up of the site. I had noticed the Breeding Report area, but have not gone there yet. As I said, I get very intense in my research and read and read a LOT! I'm still learning about my reef tank, but this whole idea of captive breeding really touched an intense interest. It just seems to make such basic sense, though I do understand that careful, sustainable harvesting of wild fish supports many people.

Well, I'm off to do more reading... Thanks again for the wonderful welcome and support, - I'll be back often!
lionelj

Postby Agathos » Wed May 12, 2010 11:44 am

Agathos

Postby lionelj » Wed May 12, 2010 1:23 pm

:lol: Ah, cynics of the world unite! I have a hard time myself with the sustainable thing, knowing as I do that profit is such a strong motive. But, I am going to keep an open mind and pray that there are ethical folks out there that do practice a truly sustainable system. Well, I will try to do my part for the alternative - captive breeding! As I search around here, MOFIB has such a wonderful array of information and directions, - I think I'm going to like it here. More reading to do!!! :D
lionelj

Postby Agathos » Wed May 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Agathos

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry