[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - Sexing Amblyeleotris randalli

Sexing Amblyeleotris randalli

Sexing Amblyeleotris randalli

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:37 pm

Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:34 am

Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Clownfish75 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:16 am

I have never looked that close.

I know species like A. phalanea display blue barring on the female and not the male, but i also suspect it occurs more so in the presence of the opposite sex.

A. rainfordi is a species i have been meaning to get to for ages, along with twin spot gobies, but only so many tanks.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby FuEl » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:21 am

All the Amblyeleotris randalli I have seen so far all seem to have eyespots on their dorsals.

Christian, A. rainfordi and twin spot gobies come in all the time in Singapore. That's why I keep pestering you to drop by. :lol:
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:28 pm

Thanks! Is it possible that only males are collected for their ornamentation?
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby aomont » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:41 am

Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:43 am

Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby DrHsu » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:33 am

Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:53 am

Hi @ all,

must have missed this thread before.

I have a spawning pair and can assure you that there are no signs to see to sex them. Except that she is really big when carrying eggs. My wholesaler was so nice to pair them up for me.

I believe this is a picture of her:

She is more out then him, they live with a pair of Alpheus as you can see. If it helps, I can try to shoot him too.
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:58 am

Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby mpedersen » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:51 pm

I just wanted to add this in and I'm not sure if this will work, so here goes:

Today, Drs. Foster and Smith (LiveAquaria.com) listed a "Pair" of Amblyeleotris randalli

Here's the enlargement image from their site:

Here's the listing:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/It ... &siteid=20

I believe once the item is sold the link to the listing will not work, but I'm NOT SURE if the image will remain or not. I try to save all their listings of fish pairs or sexed fish for reference down the line, and this one is no different...anyway...it's something to add to the discussion!

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby DrHsu » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:14 am

I think if you have 2 randallis next to each other in tank, they will be of different sexes.....The 2 are positioned in a typical pairing position. If of the same sex, randallis will try to kill each other, which is why they are often held in separate containers in holding systems....
Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:16 am

Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby mpedersen » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:44 pm

mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby mpedersen » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:27 pm

Another pair showed up today (Sept. 4th)

Image - http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/2 ... 71-165.jpg

Listing for sale (While they're available) - http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/It ... &siteid=20

Going rate was $69.99

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby David M » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:42 am

Just to follow up on this I was able to get two of differing sizes on 11-20. Physically identical as far as markings. Both were weak and would normally be poor choices but they were the ony two I could find anywhere on 104th St so I took them. There was considerable aggression, the larger basically beat the snot out of the smaller one and while it did eat and seem to acclimate it was found dead on day 6.

So this week Nov 29th I bought 3 more that seemed to be in good condition.

:D It's just too easy. I added the three new ones to the one I had, who happened to be the largest. It took less than one hour, the large (presumed male) likes to stay at the front of the tank near the light and where the food comes in :roll: He had allowed one of the three to hang with him and had the other two pinned in the back corners of the tank. It's a tiny bare ten gallon quarantine tank the four randal's share with a pir of watchman gobies and a long nosed hawk. Not exactly a romantic retreat for newlyweds. Today ( day three) I saw clear pairing behavior, the two sort of "dance" around each other and the the smaller (presumed female) quivers like a male clownfish. All the time both are flashing the dorsal up and down. It's just so obvious I can't imagine why it isn't carved in stone in a dozen books. But then I remember, we all need to pat ourselves on the back now and then. This is cutting edge stuff. To my knowledge noone has doccumented any of this.

Get some fish and give them space, it just isn't that hard. I have a pair of Falco hawks :shock: Why? I dunno but it was pretty easy to form the pair so I felt oblgated.
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:19 am

Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby David M » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:12 am

Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Postby MichaelJarvis » Thu May 15, 2008 1:24 am

Are the ones with two occeli a geagraphic variant, or just an abherrant patterned individual?
MichaelJarvis

Postby MichaelJarvis » Thu May 15, 2008 1:27 am

whoops, I mean ocelli :lol:
MichaelJarvis

Return to Amblyeleotris - Shrimp Gobies