[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - Dottyback Species Suggestions - better reward, more peaceful

Dottyback Species Suggestions - better reward, more peaceful

Dottyback Species Suggestions - better reward, more peaceful

Postby mpedersen » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:20 am

With the loss of my female Blue Bar Dottyback, I have the potential for an "open slot" in my broodstock. While I could go looking for another Blue Bar Dottyback, I'm not inclined to do so. Primarily because I was anticipating dull brown juveniles, which will be terribly difficult to sell at any price. But also, I simply disliked that I was forced to keep the female separate from the male. I didn't like having the breeder box in the tank.

So, what species of dottybacks will pair up and live together easily in a smaller reef tank, i.e. a 24 gallon? There are a myriad of species to chose from. I've been drawn to the Alleni / Splendid types more so than the Arabians or Orchids, and I have no interest in the 'inexpensive' Pseudochromids like the "Strawberry" and "Diadema" basslets.

Any suggestions / thoughts? I've even been thinking about some NOT so nice species, like Cypho purpurescens (aka. McCullochi) but that's 100% from a "monetary gain" perspective, that is to say that if I can raise a good batch, there's a huge reward, worth every bit of the hassle of dealing with the problem of the mates needing to be kept separate.

I may just go back and give the Royal Grammas another shot (was planning on doing that ANYWAY, but in a different tank)...
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Clownfish75 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:27 am

I had good breeding pairs of orchid in 2ft tanks (10 gal, 50L) tanks with no problems.

I had Cyphos in a 4ft tank once and the female killed the male.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby mpedersen » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:31 am

Another species I've been mulling over is Pseudochromis tonozukai, as all accounts I've read suggest they pair up quite readily and aren't aggressive towards each other (i.e. won't require separate quarters for the female).

So, Orchids are out because "Everyone' does 'em.

On the my "aggressive" list (basically requiring separated pairs, except for spawning):
Replace the female Blue Bar (P. cyanotaenia)
Cypho purpurescens - big potential for financial ROI
Manonichthys splendens - another higher demand fish

On the potentially peaceful list:
M. polynemus
M. alleni (I prefer this species with the red spot on the pelvic fins)
P. tonozukai
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby mpedersen » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:40 am

There's also one "Unknown Species":

Pseudochromis bitaeniatus - I've seen these come around, they don't seem to garner much interest, but I find them really pretty with their yellow heads white flank with upper and lower black horizontal stripes. Anyone have any experience with this species?
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby joefrith » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:49 am

How about these guys Matt? I've always wanted to try them:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... d=1693&N=0

I also like Manonichthys splendens though.
><º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>
joefrith

Postby FuEl » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:20 am

I love Artemac!
FuEl

Return to Pseudochromis