[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - Royal Dottyback - Pictichromis paccagnellae Breeding Log

Royal Dottyback - Pictichromis paccagnellae Breeding Log

Royal Dottyback - Pictichromis paccagnellae Breeding Log

Postby PaulG » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:32 am

Now some of this is a cross post from Luis's threadso if there is duplication... sorry....

Several weeks back a fellow reefer wanted to dispose of his Royal Dottyback due to it becoming a problem child & attacking a number of his tanks inhabitants, so I volunteered myself to take the problem child on.

So off I went to pick it up, got him home & acclimated him & tossed him in teh tank with 2 small clowns, 2 peppermints, 2 cleaners & a small blennie all the time expecting to have to take him out again and give him his own tank.

The first day was fine but then he started to hammer the clowns & the peppermint shrimp, I couldn't put him in the other tank as I was in teh middle of water changes (I use the spare tank for doing water changes) so I quickly grabbed the PVC tube he decided to dic inot & temporarily held him in a breeder basket hung in the tank.

After the night in the breeder basket I decided to give him another chance & let him loose in teh tank again. This time after a few days he was only chasing the other fish away when they went near his home, apart from that he had obviously learnt from his time in solitary confinement :lol:

About 2 weeks after getting him I was down at teh LFS & they had a couple of small (1.5") royal dotties so I grabbed one with the hopes to pair the two up.

The female is the exact opposit of the male. The female is personable, allways comes to the glass when you approach with that 'feed me' look, the male on teh other hand is getting better but still darts away everytime something moves outside of teh tank.

Since the female was introduced the male did chase her around for a bit but nothing serious, no torn fins or anything, ever since pretty much all teh other fish have not been touched.

So today I noticed that the female was very fat but was unsure if this was food related or from eggs (I was surprised if this was the case) but I also noticed teh male showing a LOT more interest in teh female to the point that he was no longer chasing her but swimming up to her & then swimming back to his home & looking back to see if she was following.
This has been going on pretty much all day.

Some Pics
These 2 are from when the female decided she wasn't happy with the bbs slowing swimming out of teh snagger. I usually dump bbs in the snagger on teh night of a suspected hatch of shrimp to give them something to munch on, if in the morning there are no shrimp I usually turn teh airlift off & the bbs slowly swim out for everything in the tank to munch on.

Image Image

Rotund Female

Male attempting to lure the female (right side of tank)
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:33 am

Turns out teh female was just stuck up....

She excreeted a large quantity of what can best be described as excrement & is now thin as!
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:45 am

PaulG

Return to Pictichromis