[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - Bluelined Pipefish Breeding Log - Doryrhamphus excisus

Bluelined Pipefish Breeding Log - Doryrhamphus excisus

Bluelined Pipefish Breeding Log - Doryrhamphus excisus

Postby hsiehlung » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:38 pm

Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Postby hsiehlung » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:30 am

15/12/08

From a prev post by joefrith i should have my babies due by tomorrow though i think my tank is a bit cooler than his so might take a bit longer.
as i working night shift i have my larve snagger all ready i just hope some get into it before anything eats them.

Pictures added

Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Postby Luis A M » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:40 pm

Pics are upside-down,can you move them?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby hsiehlung » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:48 pm

funny you say that cause they been swimming like that most of the time and
their fav spot is just below the powerhead, where they sleep at night

next time i correct it :)
Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Postby Zeptonium » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:19 pm

I have a few of these fish. The first female I got was eating frozen brine at the LFS. Now it only eats frozen mysis.

In a different tank, I got another pair about 2 months ago. They survived off pods for about 3 weeks, I NEVER saw them eat frozen. Then they just switched to frozen overnight it seemed. I always feed in the same spot and they got used to it.

Now all 3 pipefish greet me when I walk up to their tanks. They eat hikari frozen mysis only and pick out the largest whole bodies first. The pieces they pick out look bigger than their head but they eat it just fine. Mine also like to hang upside down under a rock when not looking for food. I hope my pair will have eggs soon.
Brad
Zeptonium

Postby hsiehlung » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:53 pm

16/12/08

some bad news ... came home today and found the male had released his lot ... but no fry to be found .... out of they got eaten or skimmed up ... :( and non in my snagger as the touch ran out of battery ! :(

well hopeful if joe is correct i have eggs again soon ....

i think since i know how long until the release and as they only give around 20 maybe i will catch the male and place him in a breeding net the day he release with some macro ... unless he does it when i not working night shift then i can wait and watch for him to release ....
Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Postby hsiehlung » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:26 pm

16/12/08 (part 2)

well its roughly 30 mins since the sunrising .... and i pretty sure the fry are all gone anyway being upset i wasnt down and i just watch my tank for awhile until i can fall sleep .....

well let just say these guys breed like rabbits ....

i have caught them in the act !!!!

i am soo suprised that they are breeding so fast ...

anyway my phone is videoing some of it right NOW ! as my god dam camera battery died ... (great timing right)

i will post it once they finished :)
Last edited by hsiehlung on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Postby hsiehlung » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:12 am

16/12/08

please ignore the first min and the bad quailty (phone)
if the movie doesnt show please follow the link

[youtube]-QMPdCm-SKg[/youtube]
Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Postby hsiehlung » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:55 am

19/12/08

well today was my 2nd offical release of fry ...
the first i missed as i was at work but they spawned straight after.

he release before 9 pm and i am sure i would of able to catch more but i oversleep waiting for nightfall .... i think i was able to catch around 10 or less... usally spawning happens in the morning so i see tomorrow if he holding another lot of eggs :)

right now they in a water bottle in the main tank and have been fed with rots

i try to take some picture but i might need to go borrow my friend's camera for this :P
Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Postby wildponi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:56 am

That is really cool to see! Such gorgeous fish! I look forward to seeing the pipefish larvae/fry. Very exciting! I am just getting into raising sygnathids with reidi and alligator pipes. I love all of them!

Deb
wildponi

Postby hsiehlung » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:00 pm

20/12/08

Daddy is pregant again :roll: .....
and counted around 13 fry in my bottle.

this pictures were doe by a normal camera still waiting to get my friend's camera (DLRS)

Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Re:

Postby Luis A M » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:33 am

Luis
Luis A M

Postby wildponi » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:31 pm

wildponi

Postby ScooterTDI » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:08 am

ScooterTDI

Postby hsiehlung » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:20 am

21/12/08

all fry dead...
i am sure it was my fault as i added green water i dont know maybe some of the fert i been using kill them since it was such a small amount of water in the bottle.

the bottle had a screen to allow water flow but rots to stay in the bottle

i also saw themget into strike postion but didnt see much after... i was thinking maybe i added to many rots at a time ... ?

next test will be a bucket but i try both rots and + bbs and see how they go and i might able to culture some copepods as i got some starter culture for a breeding who is willing to help me out :)

2 sleeps until the hatch for the next batch

hopeful in the next month i will have a breeding setup in my garage which allow me to look after them better and culture the right foods for them
Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Postby lance » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:54 am

Nice job
lance

Postby hsiehlung » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:26 am

Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Postby hsiehlung » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:34 am

Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Postby mikegreen » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:05 am

mikegreen

Postby hsiehlung » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:01 am

23/12/08

3 rd batch are now collected i think we looking a biggest batch out of the 3.
i thinking its around 20+

they now in a seprate tank near my rot cultures

i have notice they not feeding as well as i would though i dont know if that cause they just hatched. i will moniter them over tomorrow if they are eating the rots.

copepod culture has not arrive as the supplier wishes me to have a prepared culture of iso.t which is not ready yet
Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Postby ScooterTDI » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:43 am

What genus/species of copepods are you planning on trying?

Scott
ScooterTDI

Postby hsiehlung » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:40 am

G. imparipes nauplii. pretty sure are the ones i be getting
hopefully if iam able to culture them well enough i will get rid of the rots of reduce their culture size
Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Postby joefrith » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:18 am

><º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>
joefrith

Postby hsiehlung » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:03 am

26/12/08

thanks joe i have to say your short thread before gave me enough info to try these little guys...

mating dance was amazing, first time i see any of my fish spawn in first person they didnt seem to mind me sitting infront of them.

right they still in the bowl none dead yet ... well that i can see, i added some green water to help the rots and maybe help them hunt as i still dont see them actively hunt and i am unable to get a mircoscope to check if they have food in their gut.

tomorrow i am going out to talk to my friend in the western australia hatchery to see if they can supply me a huge amount of iso.t so i can this copepod culture started (1 x wine bottle with 10,000 c.poddies :P)
Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Postby hsiehlung » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:16 am

26/12/08 part 2

its been awhile since i tried to feed them with frozen (at least 1 week)
so i thought i try again but they were fat with the pods in my tank.

anyway !

both parents are feeding on frozen mysid that been soaks in NA complete (orange colour one)

*cheers*
Breeding:
Harlequin Shrimps
Sexy Shrimps
hsiehlung

Next

Return to Other Syngnathids