[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - Peppermint Shrimp Spawn L.boggessi

Peppermint Shrimp Spawn L.boggessi

Re: Peppermint Shrimp Spawn L.boggessi

Postby DeneBanger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:51 pm

DeneBanger

Postby Aquazoa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:53 pm

I commend your enthusiasm....you must be a young fellow!
It is indeed so very refreshing to see the more professional exchange of theories to be found on MOFIB, the courteous more civil dialogues in these forums as compared to mainstream blogs which seem to always degenerate into myopic shouting matches, LOL. We are of a higher ilk, I would say.
I didn't want you to think my post was being critical, I just wanted to mention why I like my kreisel (hardly anything ever settles in this one).
I guess I am still unclear as to what your nursery is exactly like, so curiosity killing the cat here....
Another observation I was talking to Andy about is that when my kreisel was permanently downstream of my reef refugium (allowing larval spawns to automatically collect there with no effort) there developed a problem....
Colonization of the nursery environment with multitudes of amphipods thwarted any survival of the zoeae as the amphipods would pick off the zoeae at night and eat them. So the lesson learned from this was that a reef connected larval tank may need drainage (and flushing with freshwater or bleach) prior to initiating a larval run as there would be no amphipoda at the outset. Otherwise larvae would have to be collected and transferred or hatched with the parent directly inside a remote larval tank. A micron filter on the system input line can also help to minimize contaminating organisms.
I like what you had to say about the amboinensis settling cue idea. A similar theory was described in the paper I have cited in my article which describes Periclimenes sagittifer culture utilizing anemone placement in the rearing system's sump as a symbiont settling cue.
Good luck in your endeavors!

Porter
Aquazoa

Postby DeneBanger » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:56 pm

DeneBanger

Postby DeneBanger » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Day 23.......both PS are still holding...............
DeneBanger

Postby DeneBanger » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Here is another very interesting occurrence.....today, while feeding the adult broodstock I noticed an empty carapace, the adults have undergone a full molt while holding the eggs at day 23 and it has not effected the eggs at all. I didn't know that this was possible.

So while we are waiting on this ever so slow larvae to make their grand appearance, let me mention something about feeding time. At feeding time I simply slice off a sliver of my frozen seafood goo and stick it to the end of my finger, each PS comes up to the surface in turn hangs on to my finger then takes off to the bottom of the tank again with a nice little clump of food. It has gotten to the point that they only have to see me coming and up they come!
DeneBanger

Postby DeneBanger » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:30 pm

Here is a pic of the carapace and the molt that occurred while the PS was holding at day 23 and a photo of the PS. In the pic of the PS you can see the reflectivity of the eggs as well as the next batch forming behind the head, this one has been holding for 23 days.
carapace while hlding eggs at day 23.jpg

Peppermint Shrimp holding eggs at day 23.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeneBanger

Postby DeneBanger » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:26 am

Last night the larvae arrived! Approximate count 20 at day 24-25! There names are Sally, Susan, Robin, Brett, Marcus Apollius Mentis.......LOL! Just kidding! A small batch but the PS are still quite young.

These are doing the same as the first batch, they are attaching themselves to the sides of the nursery, for those that have attached themselves to the sides their positions are all the same, heads down and abdomens gently moving in the water column. Now it is time to feed the rascals.
DeneBanger

Postby DeneBanger » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:28 pm

Day 2 the larvae seem to be doing very well, this morning I noticed that they have developed stalked eyes so now we are at zoeae 2. At day two this batch seems alot larger than the first, best guess is that they are approx. 2 maybe 3 mm long. Here's another observation, when I shine a flashlight into the nursery at night I've noticed hundreds of little copepods in the range of 100-200 microns feeding off the microalgae, these weren't there for the previous batch or at least they went unnoticed. I can't tell if they are feeding on them or not but for now I'm going to assume that the presence of the copepods is a good thing.

Another note the shrimp that just spawned is holding eggs again, and its mate is still holding....I've lost track of how long the mate has been holding so I'll just keep an eye on the egg development for now.
DeneBanger

Postby Suzy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:38 am

Great book! I got it last week, and it has a lot of great info! I now have like 10 bazillion egg strands!

Just a quick question on your new yummy diet for your shrimp. Are there certain fish that are better than others? I notice your recipe has a few easily obtainable things, but how did you decide on the ingredients? If my local grocery store does not have them, can we substitute other things and still get the increased nutrients?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Previous

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps