[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - BC2010 - L.Vitatta - PaulG

BC2010 - L.Vitatta - PaulG

BC2010 - L.Vitatta - PaulG

Postby PaulG » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:05 pm

Username: PaulG
Species: Lysmata Vitatta (Australian Species)
Social Structure: Group of 5
Size of Individuals: 3-4cm
Age of Individuals: 6-12 months
Date added to Tank: between December 2008 & June 2009

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 30cm W x 35cm D x 45 cm H
Substrate Details: None, bare bottom
Filtration Details: central broodstock system with various species in dedicated tanks
Water Changes: 25% fortnightly (Total Water Volume is approx 360L)
Water Temperature: 27'C
Lighting: Normal Output Single T5 (Warm Daylight)
Lighting Cycle: 14L, 10D
Other Tank Inhabitants: None

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Frozen mysis, pellets
Feeding Schedule: once per day in the morning

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: July 2008
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: Numerous. Most Current 13 Jan 2010, 24 Jan 2010

Larval Tank Details
Size of Larval Tank: 58cm Diameter x 40cm High BRT
Substrate Details: None
Other Tank Decor: None
Filtration Details: Central Larval System utilising BioBalls, filter socks, micron screens & skimmer
Lighting: Normal Output T5 - 28W
Lighting Cycle: 14L, 10D
Water Changes: 50% Monthly (total water volume of the system is approx 1000L)

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: nhbbs to 1-4 day old bbs fed on nanno
Feeding Schedule: Morning & Evening (if needed)

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:
Last edited by PaulG on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated Info
PaulG

Re: BC2010 - L.Vitatta - PaulG

Postby jadeguppy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:23 pm

Wow, looks like you have a head start on the rest of us. Please keep us informed. Newbies like me will be looking to you and others for hints on how to be successful.
jadeguppy

Postby PaulG » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:43 pm

I've had them spawning for awhile but am waiting on a new spawn which hopefully should be about 10 days away.
PaulG

Postby jadeguppy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:28 am

Question: have you noticed that they all tend to spawn around the same day or do they stagger when they spawn? I'm wondering if a hormone may trigger all of them to be on the same time schedule.
jadeguppy

Postby PaulG » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:41 am

The spawning cycle is very much driven by the need to molt, a molt had to occur in order for the eggs to be fertilised.

They start off by spawning at different times & eventually get into a routine of all molting at once which is really bad. When they molt they are unable to pass teh sperm packet due to the fragility of their exoskeleton.

My 5 pepps are almost in sync with all molting at the same time, so I'm going to have to seperate them into 2 groups after the next spawning & keep them at 2 different temperatures to get them all out of whack with each other.
PaulG

Postby jadeguppy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:23 pm

Very interresting. I wonder if one of the members that has access to a lab has every checked for hormones in the water that may cause that. Sounds like a great paper for a doctorate.
jadeguppy

Postby PaulG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:37 am

I have 1 pepp that is holding eggs now :) & it looks like at least 2 others will molt in teh next day or so so I should end up with at least 3 batches of larvae in about 9 days,
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:52 pm

So,

After 4 other shrimp molting, I onl have 1 that is still holding eggs. Most annoying!

The other 2 had eggs in the morning & they were gone that night so I guess they were not fertilised.

Probably be another 4 or 5 days before I have larvae though.
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:33 pm

We have a spawn!

I would guess 3-4 hundred larvae, i dont count them as i dont have the time.

moved them to the 58L BRT with nanno, tiso and nhbbs.

Currently its off the central filtration will connect it back up in a day or 2.
Last edited by PaulG on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forgot to add teh nhbbs
PaulG

Postby jadeguppy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:06 pm

Congratulations!
jadeguppy

Postby PaulG » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:52 am

Last edited by PaulG on Sun May 16, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updared image urls
PaulG

Postby jadeguppy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:45 pm

Sweet pic!
jadeguppy

Postby spawner » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Paul,

Can you put a few dozen starved larvae, or newly hatched before they are fed, in 95% ethanol for me. Keep them in your freezer. I'll mail you down some storage vials that will keep the ethanol good for a long time if you need them.

Andy,

Did you ever send teh vials?
spawner

Postby PaulG » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:12 am

Sure Andy,

Do you want me to throw some Debelius larvae in as well?

Where abouts does one get 95% ethanol from?

PM incoming.
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:44 am

We have another spawn!

These ones have gone inot a slightly smaller BRT (35 rather than 58), treating them the same though, they are currently off the central filtration system in nanno greentwater with an air bubbler. I'll probab;y put them on to the central system on Wednesday.

Here is a pic from teh earlier batch from teh 13th of January, sorry its not a good image the fishrrom isn't really designed for taking photos.

I'll pull one of these guys out later & stick them under teh scope.
Last edited by PaulG on Sun May 16, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated image urls
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:43 am

And here is the pulled one.... bad pic, he didn't want to co-operate.

The following 3 pics should of been stiched togeterh but teh software I was attempting to use didn't want to co-operate
Last edited by PaulG on Sun May 16, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated image urls
PaulG

Postby jadeguppy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:10 pm

What is this? Do you have flow through in your larve tank? I've been thinking about doing that, but haven't figured out how without having all the fry go down the overflow.

jadeguppy

Postby PaulG » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:16 pm

PaulG

Postby PaulG » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:50 am

From the original spawn, there are more than 100 larvae left.

From teh second spawn there are approx 30 larvae left.

Why the difference, the second spawn is onyl under ambient light, the first is under direct light from a T5 lamp.
PaulG

Postby Amie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

I'd like to know how you got 120um mesh attached to pvc pipe. I've tried that and it is ridiculously hard.
Amie

State/Region:

Postby PaulG » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi Amie,

Silicone is your friend ;)

Why silicone over something like superglue or some other solvent?

You will eventually find that the mesh will clog & so amount of scrubbing or bleaching will clean it so you have to replace the mesh, with silicone you can pull the mesh off teh pvc without any damage to the pvc, then you just put a new piece on.

The piece of mesh is actually wider than the PVC pipe is long (if that makes sense).
Once I've cut the 'holes' in the pvc pipe I run a thin bead of silicone around each opening & then wrap the mesh around it, there is about 7-10mm overlap of mesh at the seam which is purely to ensure that the mesh stays there.

I do need to make some more of these up so when I do I'll take some pics.

Oh 1 thing I should mention, after doing a bunch of these you end up with silicone everywhere!

HTH
PaulG
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:33 pm

The original batch is still going strong, even after running out of nhbbs for a couple of days (lazyness) there are still over 100 larvae left & they are approaching the 1 month mark (2 days) hopefully I should see some settling out soon.
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:56 am

And on closer inspection this morning I have 2 newly settled peppermint shrimp :D with a third in the process of settling.. or dieing one or the other.

This is exactly 1 month after they hatched.
PaulG

Postby jadeguppy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:49 pm

Congratulations!
jadeguppy

Postby TheChemist » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Congrats! You are a real expert on shrimp now :D
Question though:
What is the temperature in your larval BRT?

And another one:
Did you use nano only or T-ISO also?
And the third and last one:
Did you use algae to only feed the brine shrimp, or did you add some to the BRT?
How old was the BBS you were feeding for the last 2 weeks?
What was the aprox. feed density for the last 2 weeks?

EDIT: Does you success rate change with respect to the type of vessel you use (BRT versus glass tank)?
Andy

Onyx A. percula, A. ocelaris. P. kauderni, L. wurdemani, L. amboinensis, black ocelaris, E. oceanops, grama loreto, P. aldabraensis
TheChemist

Next

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps