[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - Seperating alga from water

Seperating alga from water

Seperating alga from water

Postby Suzy » Thu May 27, 2010 2:36 pm

Is it possible to separate the cells in my phytoplankton cultures without killing them? I mean, in a home/ hobbyist setting? I am never sure all the fertilizer is used up, and I feel nervous adding it to my newborn fry nurseries.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Re: Seperating alga from water

Postby JimWelsh » Thu May 27, 2010 3:12 pm

I don't know about separating the algae cells, but I can tell you that F/2 media has about 55 PPM of Nitrate to start with (Math below). Let's assume that your phyto culture consumes only 90% of the fertilizer, then that means your phyto culture has only 5.5 PPM of Nitrate left over. Take that, and then dilute it in the fry tank, and I don't think you have a lot to worry about. You could always test your phyto culture for Nitrates. :wink:

Per the , Guillard's F/2 media has 1.0 ml/L of a stock solution that has 75 g/L of Sodium Nitrate. The Sodium Nitrate has a molecular mass of 84.9949. The Nitrate ion has a molecular mass of 62.0049. So, 62.0049 / 84.9949 of the 75 g is Nitrate. That means that the amount of Nitrate in fresh F/2 Media is 75 * (62.0049/84.9949) / 1000 / 1000 = 0.0000547, which is 54.7 PPM.
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region:

Postby Suzy » Thu May 27, 2010 4:35 pm

Thank you for the quick reply! That is very kind of you!

I had not thought of testing for nitrates. I guess I could assume that if the nitrates are used up, the copper and other heavy metals would be too? I could feel more comfortable ( maybe!) if I were only thinking of raising fish but delicate inverts? It is just trial and error, I guess.

I am asking because I took an online class about spawning invertebrates and I do so want to be a Invertebrate Embryologist when I grow up!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby BaboonScience » Thu May 27, 2010 6:31 pm

For relatively small volumes of algae (several liters or say a gallon), you can try placing the bottle into the refrigerator. In about 24 hours most should settle out. You can then pour off most of the water, leaving a concentrated algae that can be dosed into the system. This is something that you can experiment with.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Suzy » Thu May 27, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks! I will try this, and see what I come up with. I still wonder how DTs does it.....
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Scottt » Thu May 27, 2010 11:22 pm

Most commercial algae concentrates are centrifuged. I'd recommend not worrying about the nitrates in the live phyto. It is common and successful practice to use it as a greenwater without concentrating it.
Scottt

Postby BaboonScience » Fri May 28, 2010 1:28 am

"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Suzy » Fri May 28, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your responses.

I won't worry about it until I get some really cool animal spawnage! I volunteer at our local aquarium, and a few weeks ago I saw a funky huge black urchin spew out a huge cloud of something. I waited for 2 hours to see if his tankmate would respond in kind, but alas, no.....
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby enigma » Fri May 28, 2010 12:26 pm

We have found very minor traces of fertilizer making it through a properly grown out culture. However, these are so small as to be virtually nil. If you do want to separate, Dr. John "Lauth Baboonscince" has some pretty neat box fan centrifuge schematics. If you ask nicely via PM I'll bet he'll share them. :wink:

Otherwise, you'll be dropping $7-15K for a nice continuous flow centrifuge.
With reasonable men, I will reason; with humane men I will plead; but to tyrants I will give no quarter, nor waste arguments where they will certainly be lost. --William Lloyd Garrison--
enigma

Postby seafarm » Fri May 28, 2010 1:33 pm

I wish my centrifuges were only $15K. Mine run from $45K to $100K, but they have 4-6 foot bowls :)
Randy Reed, Vendor - Reed Mariculture (Instant Algae, Reef Nutrition, Rotifers, Copepods, Otohime, ClorAm-X)
seafarm

State/Region:

Postby BaboonScience » Fri May 28, 2010 1:48 pm

BaboonScience

Postby seafarm » Fri May 28, 2010 6:45 pm

I think the really big systems that harvest Nanno push over 6,000 G's. We harvest over a 1/2 million gallons of Nanno on a good day so they are designed for very high flow through, but without breaking the cells.
Randy Reed, Vendor - Reed Mariculture (Instant Algae, Reef Nutrition, Rotifers, Copepods, Otohime, ClorAm-X)
seafarm

State/Region:

Postby BaboonScience » Fri May 28, 2010 7:23 pm

BaboonScience

Postby rsman » Sun May 30, 2010 4:35 pm

GONE!!!
rsman

Postby sunny d polyp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:41 am

Hope someone answers this; what do you do with the left over culture water? I am culturing phyto and copes and live in a subdivision, I use the fridge method of concentrating the phyto specifically Tet and don't know what to do with the left over culture water, I have a septic tank so I don't flush it in fear of upsetting the fauna (fresh and salt) (maybe it doesn't matter?) I'm designing a system for phyto using 7.5 liter bags (20) and will ramp up the roti's which will increase the waste water and I'm not sure how to keep from just dumping it it the yard. How do you deal with it or do I even need to worry about it?
"If you opened my head there would be a plethora of copes swimming in a sea of phyto"
sunny d polyp

Postby sunny d polyp » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:22 pm

Guess I'll give myself a BUMP!
"If you opened my head there would be a plethora of copes swimming in a sea of phyto"
sunny d polyp

Postby johnrt » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:36 pm

johnrt

Postby sunny d polyp » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:14 pm

Thanks for your reply, 5 um screen, how do you keep the screen from clogging is it pressurized? Do you have any pics of your set up? I've been raising rots and phyto on a small scale and getting ready to ramp up after I research thoroughly.
sunny d polyp

Introducing the Bluetooth Walrus* (long)

Postby johnrt » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:58 pm

johnrt

Postby jadeguppy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:09 pm

johnrt, where are the pictures! ;)
jadeguppy

Postby johnrt » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:46 pm

johnrt

Postby sunny d polyp » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:45 pm

Johnrt, you are my hero, thank you!
sunny d polyp

Postby johnrt » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:17 am

johnrt

Postby Mouseinhat » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:41 am

Most helpful, better than photos, as I now have my own pictures in my head.
Thanks.
Pictures are great, but words are magic.
With words you can reach into my memory and show me something that no one else has ever seen.
Mouseinhat

Postby johnrt » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:54 pm

johnrt

Next

Return to Phytoplankton