I'm brand new to all this. Occelaris started breeding, and I wanted to try my hand at raising some babies... because I think it'll be fun and a great experience. In line with that, I want to do things as inexpensively as possible, and figure I want to start out with the FULL experience in growing phyto to feed the rots, instead of using prepared/dead rot feeds. I'd considered growing phyto previously anyways, so this helps motivate me to get me going.
I would like someone feedback to my plan, and I have a few questions.
I have nanno
and tetra (I think) cultures in the fridge in bottle form. I expect/hope to be set up and culturing by Sunday evening.Setup:
* I have several 750ml (old wine bottles) that I plan to use, because I wanted to use glass vs plastic. an old 4ft
T8 flourescent sitting in the garage to use for lighting.
* Washed them once with bleach, but plan to acid wash all vessels after assembled - and for future cleanings. (using muriatic acid from hardware store)
* I believe I'm planning a typical setup - with rigid airline tubing in each culture vessel - one down to bottom for air feed, a smaller hole in cork top for ventilation/equilzation.
* Air pump mounted above culture station, with airline 'manifold' to feed each valved individually question 1)
will running long vertical runs to each vessel from the manifold (within reason) reduce chances of cross contamination? In addition I've also read it's good to have an .2 micron air filter on each line. question 2)
Anyone have a suggestion as to where I can find these? or make my own? I've done some quick searches without any results. What should I search for?
* Put a tap and valve near bottom of a 5 gal
bucket and use it for my new water make-up (for easy despensing of water into culture vessels). Mix salt with tap water each time to fill this bucket. question 3)
What specific gravity? (1.019 - 1.021?) I've read so many different specific gravity targets, what should I use? I was planning 1.019.
* add granulated pool Chlorine (figure i can find some at local store somewhere) - add to new make-up water/5 gal
bucket. (about 1/8th tsp per 5 gal
bucket from what I've read).
* in addition I purchased 2 part f/2 from fritzpet I intend to use as a feed.Procedure:
1) prepair my make-up water in 5 gal
bucket, add the chlorine, and then leave sit (covered) for 24 hours. question 4)
Can I add the f/2 at this stage to the makeup water with chlorine in it? If not, is it necessary to filter or sterilize the f/2 media in any way? Please note: that this water could sit there for up to a month or maybe more, depending on how many vessels I get culturing. I have no idea at this point how long it will sit, but I'm assuming as long as it's chlorinated, it should be good? Is there any amount of time that it would be advised to re-chlorinate the water (meaning, after sitting x days, re-chlorinate... with ?new amount of Chlorine) ?
2) acid wash culture vessels to be used. question 5)
do i rinse after wash with tap water? Do I have to let the vessel dry out? - seems like either of these could provide a contaminant.
3) fill culture vessel with prepaired water/media about 4/5 the way up. Dechlorinate. (add f/2 after this step if necessary) question 6)
any amount of time to wait needed after this step?
4) add innoculant/culture - replace plug with tubing.
5) attach to air line header and apply light for 16 hours/day
Am I missing anything?