[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - About harpacticoid copepods

About harpacticoid copepods

Postby KathyL » Fri May 09, 2008 9:21 pm

My lonesome banggai seems to love T californicus. I started the culture to feed his mate, who seemed to like live foods best, but she died before I could get a good culture going.

Do you know if these harps will eat each other? How densely they can be cultured? Sometimes I see them swimming as a pair, and I think they must be mating... I have 3 half filled jars of them now. I am thinking of buying some plastic stackable trays for them.

I left them to their own devices for the 10 days that I was away, and they seemed to have thrived. Very low maintenance.

One other thing. When I bought them they were orange. Not any more. Do they eat naturose?
KathyL

Postby chris melb » Sun May 11, 2008 10:32 pm

chris melb

Postby chris melb » Sun May 11, 2008 10:33 pm

chris melb

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Mon May 12, 2008 11:42 pm

Hey Chris and Kathy! I've been culturing them on Reed's IA Nanno and Tet, but when I get lazy (lazier?), I just toss some Otohime A in there (I have a sample bottle). They don't seem to care. I don't think they have much of a cannibalism problem.

Here's a mating photo:

Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby KathyL » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 am

Cool photo, Andy!

An interesting paper

KathyL

Postby rivoth » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:02 am

rivoth

Postby MikeT307 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:32 pm

Here's a pretty nice conversation about harpacticoid culturing. It's a long broadcast...just a FYI.
MikeT307

Re:

Postby PHYTO4LIFE » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:40 am

PHYTO4LIFE

Re: About harpacticoid copepods

Postby PHYTO4LIFE » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:39 pm

I'll be starting a culture of nitokra lacustris for my mandarin and so far I just started culturing live nanno

my question is will freeze dried cyclopeeze and live nanno be fine for a small tray culture?

also came across this article about nitokra lacustris

http://www.fishlarvae.com/e/BigBang/Rhodes.pdf
PHYTO4LIFE

Re: About harpacticoid copepods

Postby spawner » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:28 am

I would think that your cultures will be better off with microalgae, concentrate of live. I haven't worked with Nitokra but I know that Luis was somewhat unhappy with it (do a search on the site). I'm not sure if this genus is going to be a good performer in a larval tank and I'm not aware of any literature demonstrating it to be a good source for live feeds. Any reason why you're going with it?
spawner

Previous

Return to Zooplankton