[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - Large scale rotifer production

Large scale rotifer production

Large scale rotifer production

Postby ChrisS » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:53 pm

I came upon this forum while researching rotifer production on a large scale. I am working with a biotechnology company and they want to produce lower salinity rotifers using live freshwater species green water that they have an excess of. They recently purchased a 450 Liter high production system for rotifers from Aquatic Ecosystem to help with this project. We are located in a business park, so not a lot of access to water other than a sink in our lab. We have an RODI unit, but it can only do 50 gpd. My main question is can I fill the system with tap water and then just use aquarium store water conditioners to remove the chlorine etc.? Is it better to age the water for a bit with the Chlorine removed and then add it to the rotifer tanks? I will also be adding salt of course too. Sorry, I am new to all of this stuff and not sure how to get this system running given my lack of access to large amounts of water. I read through the small operations manual for this system and it says that 50% harvest need to be done daily to keep production high. I am just trying to figure out how I am supposed to do this in a lab setting. Thanks for any input....it is much appreciated!!

Chris
ChrisS

State/Region:

Re: Large scale rotifer production

Postby onsan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:53 am

free chlorine degrades quickly, quicker still with heat or UV (sunlight) light, depending on original levels, 24-48hrs is typically sufficient to reduce free chlorine to acceptable levels naturally.
Hydrogen peroxide neutralises free chlorine and leaves no harmful byproducts.
Metabisulphite is another good option.
You have not mentioned the end use for the rotifers, this may have a bearing on rearing techniques.
Harvesting can be done by sieving with a mesh screen of around 50-100 um depending on the species cultured, simply drain half the volume through a sieve.
onsan

Postby ChrisS » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:22 pm

Thanks for the reply onsan. I realized that we have the product that came with the system, Chloram-X as well. I am assuming that can be used to remove the chlorine as soon as I fill the system with the tap water. The end result is mostly likely going to be for larval fish production. The harvest issue I am having is related more to how I am going to do this in a lab with no floor drains. I will have to bucket the harvested water to the sink and then refilling will be my bigger issue because I will have to treat the water with Chloram-X or similar product before it goes in to the system with the rotifers. I am sure all of it can be done, but it's just going to take some trial and error I guess.
ChrisS

State/Region:

Postby Amie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Amie

State/Region:

Return to Zooplankton