Vacation feeding dilemma

Vacation feeding dilemma

Postby anothermineral » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:01 pm

I'll be away from my tanks for several days at the end of the month. I'm able to autofeed my reef tank and my spawning pair's tanks, but I have 5 bonded pairs that I'll be unable to feed for ~5 days.

Any thoughts on how best to deal with this situation (e.g. over feed prior to leaving or some type of slow release food)? I realize that they could easily survive 5 days w/o food, but would rather not stress them if I can figure out a better way. Someone coming in to feed them while I'm gone is not an option. Thanks.
anothermineral

Re: Vacation feeding dilemma

Postby chuenwe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:22 pm

I just use auto feeders for all my tanks. I would buy 5 of these: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... catid=4443 It only has limited compartment, but I would not have to worry about overfeeding with it.
chuenwe

Postby Suzy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:03 pm

This might not help you situation, but maybe others. I had an "apprentice". I showed my tanks to one of our neighborhood kids a few years back, and he became very intrigued. He would come over once in a while and help me, just because he liked feeding the fish. He got a tank for Christmas one year, I gave him frags and stuff. Then, if I went away, he would come over and feed for me.

But, I will need to find another apprentice this summer. My star pupil got a scholarship to college! He now wants to go to Scripps to be a marine biologist!

Something to think about,if you plan on staying where you are for a few years. It can really be beneficial, for both parties, IMO.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby KathyL » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:49 pm

chuenwe wrote:I just use auto feeders for all my tanks. I would buy 5 of these: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... catid=4443 It only has limited compartment, but I would not have to worry about overfeeding with it.

That's my favorite feeder. I own a couple dozen….
KathyL

Postby Suzy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:34 pm

I may just buy a few of these, for my work days. I have just been letting my brood stock go hungry on the days my husband and I both work long 13 hour days.

Thanks for the link!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Return to Nutrition