my shrimp is close to giving birth!! need advice!!

my shrimp is close to giving birth!! need advice!!

Postby wsmith79 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:05 pm

OK, so this is my first attempt at rearing any kind of marine life. I was one of the lucky ones that already had a small male(which i didnt know it was a male), then i bought a massive female from one of my local shops(didnt know it was a female, i just wanted it because it was the biggest coral banded id ever seen). They fell in love at first sight fortunately for me, because at the time i was unaware of the fact that if they were both males one wouldve probly died and vice versa.

Ive had them both for months and theyre glued to the hip behind one of my overhanging rocks. they are together 24 hours a day. So about 2 weeks ago i noticed that the big one had a TON of blue eggs. i freaked out, only then did i do research and found out that i had been a lucky one that had a succesful mating pair that werent bought that way. and only then did i realize that my massive shrimp was a female.

I have it now in a white mesh "room" that is built with a green frame that attaches to the top of the aquarium.

She still has the eggs and im wondering what should i prepare to do once they hatch?? should i mess with my lighting setup?? any help would be fantastic.

wsmith79

Postby Noof » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:24 am

Hi there and welcome to the frustrating world of shrimp breeding.

CBS have a long larval duration upward of 120 days so hope you are ready for that!

You should be able to leave the shrimp in your main tank and collect the larvae when they are released.
The eggs will start that loverly turquiose colour and then fade to clearish and then the night of the hatch look a little red. You can also see black spots on the eggs which will be the eyes on the night of the hatch.

My guess is that with the female that big you will have somewhere near 1000 larvae to try raising. Start them on rots and NHBBS and phytoplankton in their water.

They will spawn somewhere near three weeks to a month so you will get another go if you cant catch this one. You will be able to collect the larvae just after lights out on the correct night.
When I have a spawning pair there were often larvae left in the tank in the morning.. tangled in some hair algae on the surface in one of the corners of the tank.
Good luck
Noof

Postby wsmith79 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:28 am

thanks for the info! As of right now the eggs are clear and i have the mom in a breeder net until i get my 8gal tank setup for her to go into and spawn.

i have a bottle of rots right now, i need to get started on the baby brine and get prepared. i will update as it progresses.
wsmith79

Postby wsmith79 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:35 pm

UPDATE**

So this is day 2 of the larvae being pinkish in color. she is dropping them now at a pretty high rate with probly only about 1/3 left to drop. the larvae are not very active so far only twitching occasionally. i transfered 10 gal and sand from my main tank to the 10gal breeder tank i setup so i know the water is good. ive sponged the filter for minimized water flow, it has a very small steady drip back into the tank which to me seems like just enough to keep aeration.

i do have a bottle of roti feast which only seems to float unless it breaks up and is in the water at a microscopic level. im kindof worried about getting the larvae food quickly.

im on my way to purchase baby brine, my question for now is, is this slow sometimes not at all movement of the larvae at this most early stage normal? seems so , i mean there is a few swimming around but even they dont move that much.
wsmith79

Postby FuEl » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:42 am

Stenopus larvae don't really swim that much. They do better with strong aeration to keep them suspended.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Re:

Postby aomont » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:01 am

FuEl wrote:Stenopus larvae don't really swim that much. They do better with strong aeration to keep them suspended.

Interesting... Makes me wonder how they thrive in the wild.
Anderson.
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Postby wsmith79 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:55 pm

well, my 1st go at this was unsuccesful. the larvae came out dead. im still working on as to why they died but at one point they were alive. im thinking the breeder net i had the mom in, in my main tank, could be the culprit as the water was at a dead stand still in the net due to algae build up on the net itself.

i will be more prepared come next time. im either going to have a strong current keep the larvae suspended which at this point, seems like it will be difficult, or use the method of having a circular mesh tubing in my main tank and have the larvae attach to the sides and hope that they can survive that way.

those are the only 2 big issues im noticing at this point..
wsmith79

Postby PaulG » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:56 am

any updates?
PaulG

Postby Jean05 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm

I had my first hatch a month ago, the small stenopus survived 7 days and then died, shortly I will have another hatch.
The first time I put them into a tank of 10 liters with phytoplancton in 7 days have made the changes here are the first photos
http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... us1hl4.jpg
http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... us2mt8.jpg
Jean05

Return to Stenopodidea - Boxing Shrimps