bakers yeast for fish n corals

bakers yeast for fish n corals

Postby natureAddict » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:14 am

i would like to feed yeast to my fish n corals.
for FISH can i mix the yeast with the blended meat n use a capsule of cod liver oil to hold the yeast to the meat? for 1 capsule how much meat do i use? can it be freezed for 1month or more?

for CORALS can i just feed direct to the tank like rots?

whats the effect on the water quality?

at present i am using fish meat with garlic (frozen for about 2 months) n freshly chopped duck weeds.
Thanks all for sharing your experiences n professionalism :)
natureAddict

Re: bakers yeast for fish n corals

Postby BaboonScience » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:20 pm

I have not fed yeast to any of my animals but am interested in any thoughts by others.
This topic, I will be following.
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby onsan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:18 pm

For the corals, are you intending to culture the yeast and feed it live to the tank, or are we talking straight instant dried yeast?

My suggestion is to explore carbon dosing, either in the tank directly, or by culturing bacteria samples from tank water to bloom and feed externally.
My reasoning is that yeast will require carbon dosing anyway, it will consume any available carbon within the system and deplete it, stifling over trophic levels that use it.
Obviously you need to confirm if the yeast (a fungus) is a suitable food source in size and nutritional content, I'm thinking that if you carbon dosed your aquarium, or cultured (externally) samples of the tank water to bloom bacteria already present in the system, you may find a higher likelihood of the bacteria being a suitable food source being that it is a natural part of the ecosystem.

The over-riding upshot of carbon dosing tanks is that any bacteria that is not consumed will go on to form part of the nitrogen cycle, working to reduce nitrate and phosphate> By providing a carbon source (the limiting nutrient) you are "feeding" the tank on the lowest trophic level, that which consumes wastes.

that's my thoughts anyways.
onsan

Postby natureAddict » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:54 am

i am thinking of dried yeast. nothing too complex

adding to food - n freezing it. n straight into the tank
natureAddict

Postby onsan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:04 am

hmmmm, not so suitable i think....

maybe try fresh or live yeast.
onsan

Postby rayhusten » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:54 am

Fish really enjoy to eat dry yeast and some crumbled bread as they liked it!
rayhusten

Postby onsan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:54 pm

yeah, and kids like lollies and ice cream... doesn't mean you should fed them a diet of it. no real nutritional value in bread, carbohydrates are not the main form of energy for fish, proteins and oils/aa's do.
onsan

Postby Maxie12 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:45 am

vegetation is residing entities which adjust to their own enviromental contitions. aquatic vegetation to be in question possess modified to water guidelines suitable for their own respective photo artificial process's and that i question without having second believed that throwing candida in to the water line will create nice problems on their behalf. accurate the yeast being energetic can give off Carbon dioxide like a by item, it modifications easy sugar in order to alcoholic beverages. this in turn will change quite alot of the actual guidelines and be harmful to many marine life established. i havnt tried personally and maybe we talk only from the theorectical point of view.
two guppy fry is going to do absolutely no damage together with your endler team and you should have ample time to catch these types of renegades while enjoying your own endlers. who knows they could grow to be females and also have guppy mix endler babies.
Maxie12

Return to Nutrition