Is a ro di necessary?

Is a ro di necessary?

Postby ronzxcvb » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:30 am

I’m setting up a fish room how important is it to use ro di water ?
I have one that needs all new filters but don’t know if its worth it to set it up and plumb it up to the fish room ? We have well water that’s not the best a lot of rust occasional sulfur smell
so I would be running the water through a .5 sediment & carbon filters anyway
And not having to plumb and store the ro di water in the fish room would make life a lot easier
ronzxcvb

Re: Is a ro di necessary?

Postby jeff@zina.com » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:23 am

Personally, I wouldn't do any salt water without RO/DI. Sometimes, replacing filters and membrane will cost nearly as much as a newer, more efficient unit, so check first. Bulk Reef Supply, Air Water Ice and Buckeye Field Supply are decent online locations for RO/DI units, parts and accessories.

Jeff
jeff@zina.com

Postby chuggy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:34 am

if you want lots of algae use tap water
chuggy

Postby ronzxcvb » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:06 pm

I knew it would have been too convenient to work
And the available places to put a storage tank don’t seem like they would be convenient
So to hell with kiss (keep it simple stupid)
I think I’m going to put a pump in the storage container run that up to a 20g tank then plumb the ro water Around the room thus still having the filtered water on tap
ronzxcvb

Postby BuckeyeFieldSupply » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:38 am

ronzxcvb wrote:I’m setting up a fish room how important is it to use ro di water ?
I have one that needs all new filters but don’t know if its worth it to set it up and plumb it up to the fish room ? We have well water that’s not the best a lot of rust occasional sulfur smell
so I would be running the water through a .5 sediment & carbon filters anyway
And not having to plumb and store the ro di water in the fish room would make life a lot easier

Your proposed filters won't remove the iron and hydrogen sulfide...

Russ
BuckeyeFieldSupply

Postby BaboonScience » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:36 am

Good comments. We are using a deep well cut into a granite aquifer and still get lots of background metals. Not much in the line of phosphates and sulfides though. I still use an RO with a DI Resin cartridge to polish the water. In municipal and shallow well supplies, I believe the situation would be worse. Also limestone aquifers might give additional problems.

There are methods posted to back flush a RO membrane when the efficiency slows. That will buy you some extended usage if replacement cost is a factor.
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby BuckeyeFieldSupply » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:44 am

In flushing an RO membrane - remember there's no "back" about it. The flush is done by bypassing the flow restrictor. As a general rule - don't reverse the flow of water through an RO membrane.

Russ
BuckeyeFieldSupply

Postby Luis A M » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:41 pm

"Necessary"it is not.Convenient,yes,if your local tap water is problematic,or you also wish to keep a reef. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Scottt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:17 pm

I realize that this threa is 2 years old, but the concepts still stand. There are other methods than RODI, like cati-ani which is much less wasteful. We use RODI for reefs, but for our fish-farm, we just use regular well water. If you have city water, just dechlorinating it works well. If you have hydrogen sulfide, aerating it works perfect.
Scottt

Postby Luis A M » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Scottt wrote:I realize that this threa is 2 years old, but the concepts still stand.

You´re right!.I haven´t noticed either :oops:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Awesomecube » Wed May 30, 2018 6:13 pm

Im gonna be using my first ro/di kit which is aqualife four stage. CoralFish12g recommends it on youtube
Awesomecube

Return to Equipment