Pellets as sole broodstock food - experiment

Pellets as sole broodstock food - experiment

Postby mago » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:47 am

As I wrote in a different thread here I want to try and feed my clownfish (A. ocellaris) broodstock only dry foods and see whether and how it affects their spawning performance.
I am currently feeding NLS Thera A (1mm) and Fauna Marine Base food. The fish are fed twice daily.
The fish are kept in a RSM 130 mini reef system with a pair of royal grammas.
This is now a third week into the trial and they have spawned on schedule. This time they did not spawn on the tile (I think it is because I didn't clean it for a long time and it is reallt filthy) but on the live rock next to their RBTA. The nest looks normal in size but the egg coloration seems more intense.
I'll keep posting on egg development and more importantly on future spawns and we will see how long they can keep going on this diet.
mago

Re: Pellets as sole broodstock food - experiment

Postby chuggy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:18 am

I have 8 pairs i been feeding straight thera a for about a month now. Ive definitely noticed a decrease in egg laying. My blacks took a couple weeks off, my 2 pairs of occys are still laying huge piles but not as regular, My onyx have not changed anything, others are still laying but not as regular. So IMO i would say yes, im gonna keep feeding thera A only as i have a huge jar and im about flat broke. Please keep us updated on your results.
chuggy

Postby FuEl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:13 am

Any way to post the specs for both foods? Maybe like protein, fat levels, etc?
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby mago » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:01 pm

Sure:
Fauna Marine: Protein: 57%, fat: 17% fibre: 1% ash: 9% and many vitamins. This food smells meaty. My royal grammas love it and today I found out that my BTA loves it as well!

NLS TheraA: Protein: 38%, Fat: 7%, Fiber: 5%, Ash: 9% and vitamins. The garlic addition is very evident in the smell. My clownfish like it better than the fauna marin pellets (maybe because it has more plant matter?) but will eat both.
mago

Postby chuggy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:00 am

mago any updates?
chuggy

Postby mago » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:35 am

eggs are developing OK. I'll update on future spawns.
mago

Postby mago » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:44 pm

The fifth week into the trial.
The pair has spawned again (2nd time in the trial period). The standard 5 day interval between hatching and next spawning is maintained.
Nest is large. Eggs look good with excellent color.
mago

Postby mago » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Been away for 10 days (diving in the Red Sea).
Came back to find a third spawn. We are aabout 1.5 months into the trial and it looks good. Egg size is normal. Nest size is large. The eggs are a few days old so I didn't see the color at spawning.
mago

Postby rrcg50 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:47 pm

I only feed dry food.never had a problem. I use flake and pellets several times a day.don't have time forg frozen
rrcg50

Postby mago » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:46 am

Two spawns since last update. Both huge.
mago

Postby mago » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:56 am

Another spawn, about 5 days old now. Spawns are very large (much larger than when I used frozen foods) and quality seems to be good. Quality is judged visually because I can't try to raise the larvae since I' m short in larval and grow-out tanks.
mago

Return to Nutrition