Rotifers vs Amonia Question...

Rotifers vs Amonia Question...

Postby CaliforniaClowns » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:06 pm

Trying to control the amonia in my rots..

I've been finding trace amounts of amonia in my rotifers so I switched up a couple of things.

First - I increased bucket / water changes to 2x per week
Second - I added a seasoned sponge from one of the tanks.

This is in addition to the daily Prime dosing.

Also when I pull rots every night I'm removing at least a gallon of water and replacing that with fresh salt water.

I'm not using tank water and there is no detectable amonia in any of my tanks.

I'm kind of at a loss for what else to do. I do strain my rots through a 53 micron sieve and do my best not to transfer any of the rots water over but you will still get some no matter what.
Mike - Newb breeder of ocellaris and snowflakes.
CaliforniaClowns

Re: Rotifers vs Amonia Question...

Postby PaulG » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:43 pm

As the saying goes..... the solution ot pollution is dilution......

What is teh overall volume of the tank teh rots are in? I have mine in 2 x 25L containers & I can quite happily let them go for 2 weeks without any water quality issues (I feed them IA).

I have soem chloramx here that I have on hand incase ammonia does become a problem but so far it has not, I usually do a 100% water change every 2 weeks on each container (1 one week, the other the next week).

What density do you have the rots at & what are you feeding them?
PaulG

Postby Waldend » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:31 am

Hello Mike. When you say trace what ppm is that exactly. I never test mine for ammonia, when I see the density drop or the water gets to discolored for my liking I do a water change of 50-75%. I may be wrong but I don't think you will get 0 ammonia like a tank. There are too many rots and too little surface for bacteria to colonize. I would recommend going to rotifer.com. There is lots of good info there.
Waldend

Postby CaliforniaClowns » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Thank you for the tips -

I am diluting - the rotifers are in a 5g bucket (x2)

The amonia reading I am getting is 0.05 ppm

I'm targeting 50/ml

I did have a hatch last night and still showed trace amounts of amonia - I was careful to wait and get any excess water out of the sieve. The larvae tank is still reading 0 amonia.

It's possible I'm being overly cautious. I had a string of bad luck with hatches and I'm trying not to take anything for granted.
Mike - Newb breeder of ocellaris and snowflakes.
CaliforniaClowns

Postby onsan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:02 am

Add some surface area to give bacteria a chance to colonise and convert the ammonia. 0.05 is not to much to worry about tho.
onsan

Return to Nutrition