Apocyclops - will fish eat them?

Apocyclops - will fish eat them?

Postby JimWelsh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:55 am

Over in the zooplankton forum, Andy ("Umm, fish?"), Luis A M and I have been discussing a prolific pelagic cyclopoid copepod: Apocyclops panamensis. It is turning out to be very easy to culture, even without any live algae at all. Of course, they do very well when fed live T-Iso, too. The real question that we haven't gotten answered yet is whether larval fish will eat them.

We need people with larval fish to be willing to work with this copepod and see if it is good feed, and report the results. One source for a similar strain to the one I have is Essential Live Feeds - you can PM or email Adelaide Rhodes (user "ladygator" here on MOFIB) and see if she has some. I can also provide starter cultures of the strain I have -- you just pay for the shipping. Any takers?
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region: California

Re: Apocyclops - will fish eat them?

Postby DThom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:47 pm

I am willing to give it a try. Do you culture them the same as rot's?

Right now I would just be able to try them out with various clownfish fry.
DThom

Postby JimWelsh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Great! You can feed them live T-Iso, if you have it, but we have also had good success by culturing the heterotrophic dinoflagellate Oxyrrhis marina with algae paste, and feeding the O. marina to the copepods. Please see the topic in the Research Projects forum here: viewtopic.php?f=283&t=7164. Turns out nobody had A. tonsa -- we were all working with Apocyclops which had taken over the A. tonsa culture.

I think you'll find these copepods very easy to culture. I would be great if we could get you some, and you could get us feedback on how the clownfish larvae take to them. Let me know how you want to proceed.
JimWelsh
Read-Only

Postby DThom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:08 pm

I don't currently have a culture of T-Iso going so I guess I will need a starter of O. marina as well.
DThom

Postby spawner » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:11 pm

Jim

There is a ton of literature on this genus being used to rear all sorts of fish and shrimp larvae.

I think you guys will have no problems feeding them to fish.
spawner

Postby JimWelsh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:13 pm

@spawner -- I know about some of the shrimp literature, just not marine ornamental fish.

@DThom -- But of course! No problem!
JimWelsh
Read-Only

Postby Luis A M » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:27 pm

There are some reports of the use of Apocyclops naups to raise small mouthed larvae,such as Lutjanus.As Jim says,they are very hardy and prolific.I couldn´t so far raise damsel larvae with the AP-O.marina-algal paste aproach,though.It might be a matter of better HUFA emrichment :?
I´m sure clowns will take them and it will be a fine food for syngnathid fry. :idea:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:35 pm

I've been waiting for a second round of houseguests to clear out (just left this morning) and to finish mopping up after the generator fire. But I think I could potentially start some wrasse trials tonight.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Suzy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:53 pm

My newly born seahorse fry love them.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby JimWelsh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Are those H. erectus?
JimWelsh
Read-Only

Postby Suzy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:10 am

Yes, and H zosterae. I try to feed only rotifer and pods for the first 4 days, after a long email conversation with a curator of a public aquarium. He wrote a thesis paper about copepod nutrition vs artemia, and really seems to know what he is talking about. Plus, I have bought seahorses from commercial breeders ( I think all of them!) who raise their fry on artemia, and I have always been disappointed with them. They succumb to disease so easily, while the wild caught ones I have had lived for years. So, there may be more ( quantity wise) fry survive on artemia, but the ones I have gotten to adulthood just on pods as a first food seem much healthier than those I can raise on artemia.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Suzy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:11 am

Geez, that was a long answer to a short question! Sorry....tMI?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby JimWelsh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:19 am

TMI? No such thing! :wink:
JimWelsh
Read-Only

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:06 am

Missed the eggs tonight. I'll start a little earlier tomorrow. One scoop out of my 5 gal. copepod culture, though, and I'm teeming with pods. :)
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby KathyL » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:06 am

JimWelsh wrote:TMI? No such thing! :wink:

Translation:
TMI is a TLA ("three letter acronym") for "too much information". :D
KathyL

Postby spawner » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Luis A M wrote:There are some reports of the use of Apocyclops naups to raise small mouthed larvae,such as Lutjanus.As Jim says,they are very hardy and prolific.I couldn´t so far raise damsel larvae with the AP-O.marina-algal paste aproach,though.It might be a matter of better HUFA emrichment :?
I´m sure clowns will take them and it will be a fine food for syngnathid fry. :idea:

Luis,

I'm sure that the nutrition of them is going to suffer with that diet. That is something we can easily look at. I guess I should get some samples and see. Its only about 3 days of work to run the profiles.

Suzy, Todd is about as knowledgeable as it gets with seahorses. 5 days of pods makes a world of difference.
spawner

Return to Nutrition