Zeigler food, anyone used it for Clownfish fry rearing?

Zeigler food, anyone used it for Clownfish fry rearing?

Postby laskopyre » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:39 pm

I was reading some thread on here, and I've seen that some are using Otohime instead of baby brine for clownfish fry. I have a friend that is the veterinary science field, and he gave me some Zeigler Larval Food. It comes in 4 different micron sizes ( < 100 micron, 100-150, 150-250, and 250-450). I did a little research, and the otohime A is 250 micron I believe. I know that A comes in 2 sizes, and one is < 75 micron. Most do not sell it, since it is not a big seller, and mostly for aquaculture.

Most Rotifers are in the 80-340 micron range, and BBS are between 400-525 microns. If anyone has tried the Zeigler, I'd like to hear the results. I think I will give it a shot, with mine. It's the first growout attempt for my Ocellaris pair. If you are using Otohime, how are your results mortality wise? what is your average beginning feeding size (1/8 teaspoon, smaller). Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Chuck
laskopyre

Re: Zeigler food, anyone used it for Clownfish fry rearing?

Postby Luis A M » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:17 am

Oh yes,Zeigler is a good food.You have to top dress it with Naturose or ask the makers to do it for you.You have to check their smaller packaging,as a 50 lb will last for years. :wink:
I used it for many years until I compared it with Otohime.It was published here.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby KathyL » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:38 am

laskopyre wrote:... If you are using Otohime, how are your results mortality wise? what is your average beginning feeding size (1/8 teaspoon, smaller). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Generally, once I start the Oto, I have no significant die offs. They all live, mostly. I start with just a dusting at 4 days and see if they eat it. By day 5 I can usually tell that they are eating it.
KathyL

Postby laskopyre » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:39 am

I have 5 fry that made it through my first hatch (mostly my mistake), but are eating well on the Ziegler. It's day 13, and they are getting stripes and growing pretty good.
Chuck
laskopyre

Postby Scottt » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:59 pm

I agree completely with Louis and Kathy. Personally I use oto; but they are really similar. Topdressing is a must. Just for the record, I still use some bbs too.
Scottt

Postby will » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi,
What size Oto A would you use at day 4/5?
Thanks
Will
will

Postby spawner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:21 pm

Which Zeigler are you speaking of here? Their larval diets or their general aquaculture diets? I believe Luis refers to the general feeds not the special larval diet, the Artemia replacement feed. Here is info on their artemia replacement diet.

http://www.zeiglerfeed.com/product_lite ... rva_EN.pdf
spawner

Return to Nutrition