Growout Food

Growout Food

Postby Gigaah » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:42 pm

I've read around and All the different information has me a bit puzzled and ground to a halt.

There are many things that can be added in different ratios. I'm about ready to just go with 50% unpeeled shrimp and fish, 20% fresh algae, 20% pellet food/flake, 5% fish roe, 5% additive(I don't know fish oil, selco..what ever unsure).

Can anyone give input.
Gigaah

Re: Growout Food

Postby KathyL » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:32 pm

I use Otohime. Takes all the guesswork out, and the fish grow really fast.
I feed frozen to the broodstock. I use a lot of Ocean Nutrition Formula One frozen, and sometimes I make my own . Your proportions seem fine, but I do it more casually. A variety of seafoods, some spirulina flakes, and that's it.
KathyL

Postby Zooid » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:49 pm

I use Otohime also.
If you're intent on using homemade mash, I add some cyclopeze or Naturose if feeding yellow or orange fish. I like to add a vitamin suplement and some garlic to mine also. I put some rotifers into the batch if I'm going to feed my display tank.
Zooid

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:42 am

I make my own. It's gross, but it's a lot cheaper than buying pre-made food. I heavily weight the ingredients toward shrimp, but I really do use whatever they have fresh at the fish counter. I add selcon, spirulina powder, a flat of mysis, lots of nori, dulse, etc. And I blend as much as I can. I usually make about 3.5 gallons of food at one time.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Waldend » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:14 pm

I have just started using the New Life Spectrum Grow food. The juveniles love it, I will know here in a few weeks how it performs. It does have a very high protein content, something like 50+ percent.
Waldend

Postby Gigaah » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:25 pm

What does everyone think about fresh algae? I have a ready supply Green hair algae from my algae scrubber.
Gigaah

Postby jolson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:58 am

fresh algae should work fine but you have to remember that fresh is very high in H2O and low in solid matter so you might have to add a lot to equal what a dry powder would have in nutritional value
jolson

Postby Luis A M » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:39 pm

jolson wrote:fresh algae should work fine but you have to remember that fresh is very high in H2O and low in solid matter so you might have to add a lot to equal what a dry powder would have in nutritional value

And in case you need to feed all the algae scraped from the ATS screen,you are returning all the nutrients removed,back to the system! :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Gigaah » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:39 pm

Don't think that thought was lost by me! :) lol
I did ponder the concept for awhile. I determined that other dried algae must have absorbed similar levels of nutrients to attain a certain size/weight.
After thinking some more I determined I'd only be using a small fraction of the algae I grew. I'm still open eared for anyone to toll in on this. At this point however I'm going with the assumption that it will work out fine.

I did plan on at least partially dehydrating it..if nothing else pressing out most of the water.

Thanks for looking out guys:)
Gigaah

Postby Luis A M » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Sure an alga is an alga! :D
If you dry them,you can weigh them and then find out how much N they had removed from the system,i.e.how much fresh food and dry food.Conversions can be found in Dynamic Aquaria
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Nutrition