Will fish eat so much that they die from it?

Will fish eat so much that they die from it?

Postby Gigaah » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:13 pm

I know I was trying not to post this question in the board. However I'm having a hard time getting a concrete solid reliable answer. As we all know the internet is full of mis information and the people here I believe are probably the most scientificly minded knowledgeable.

But my girlfriend works at pet store. She was blamed for overfeeding a puffer fish that died. apparently the shift manager found the puffer dead with something hanging out of its mouth that she says was his guts..she isn't exactly a fish expert either. So basicly it was claimed that letting the puffer eat one large meal killed it. Now I'ved owned two puffers that I've allowed to eat till content and I've never experienced this problem.

My unscientific belief is no. and the fishes death was from some parasite or contributing factor. However I've read a lot of other loosely based information(such as mine) that claims it does happen. My undestanding of fish metabolism is the more you feed it the faster the food travels thru the digesting system and it just comes out less digested. The puffers I've had did stop eating when they were "full" albiet with very round bellies. Other than fouled water contributors I have a difficult time believing that especially a carnivore like a puffer would be "designed" and as a species lived on if they could do that. I'm sure in the wild they are presented with large meals that exceed their capacity to eat.

I'm hoping to get a good answer..and possibly a better explanation of the fishes death..given the loose information i mean.
Gigaah

Re: Will fish eat so much that they die from it?

Postby spawner » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Well I would say generally no, but...

One of my students literally fed one of our baby triggerfish to death. He didn't mean to but it ate so many pellets that when they hydrated he exploded. Horrifying really.

What normally happens is people put so much food in the water they kill their water quality and the fish dies, then they say they fed their fish to death.
spawner

Postby Gigaah » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 pm

yeah they feed frozen mysis or brine so that wouldn't be the case. and the tank is hooked up store style with about 500gallons worth of other tanks.
Gigaah

Postby BaboonScience » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:06 am

I agree with Andy (Spawner).
I have heard of larvae eating so much that they essentially explode their digestive system when the pellets hydrate but I have never ever seen it personally. And I feed my fish heavily several times a day.
I have never seen an adult fish overfeed to that extent. Again, I feed generally till they stop eating, and they will.

Hard to say why the fish died but overfeeding would be about last on my list.
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Gigaah » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:20 pm

Thanks guys. I was pretty sure of the sort of answer I would get back. But I don't know everything about fish so I figured what better place to get a solid answer than here. Where else am I going to find a more reliable answer? nowhere imo.

I appreciate lending some credit to my experience and understanding that its most likley impossible for a mature fish to eat so much frozen food it dies from it. I suspect in some cases other contributing factors could result in death from eating a lot but as BaboonScience said it would probably be dead last on my list as well.
Gigaah

Return to Nutrition