Larval Snaggers

Larval Snaggers

Postby spk » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:30 am

Ok Folks,

With the clowns on their second nest in the main tank, it is time for me to construct the Larval Snagger.

having recently read a few threads here that talks about changes to designs, increased size, lighting etc. It would be really helpfull to get some more information. I will also during this buld document and picture everything.

Thanks

Steve
spk

Postby David M » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:35 am

Hey Steve, there are many ways to construct a snagger, just pick one. I think the most important things are:

-The "entry hole" needs to be right at the water line, a "u" tube as shown in Joyce's book really doesn't work all that well, the larve tend to be at the surface.

-The pump has to be adjustable, this is major. It will take you a while to get the flow just right, if it's too weak as many larvae will swim out of the snagger as swim in. If it's too strong they can get sucked up to the dividing screen.

I never had any light issues, IMO any reasonable light will do. I have used those little single moonlights either white or blue and also used a mini maglight.
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Postby KathyL » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:46 am

I'm with David, my mentor.

I use a plastic shoe box. Add to that a quart yogurt container or a 2L soda bottle, cut off. Cut big holes in them, and slip a nylon stocking (not your wife's best) over the container. Find some tubing to fit the output of a minijet pump. Now drill a hole thru the shoebox to match another hole in the smaller container, just big enough to accomodate the tubing. Glue a small section of tubing connecting the outside of the shoebox with the inside of the small container. Use silicone aquarium sealant, or any silicone caulk that does not have antibacterial properties. Slip your mini pump inside the stocking covered container and plug the output into the tubing.

Now you have a nice large surface area for the pump to draw water from, that will not suck the larvae into the surface of it. The shoebox is a good size so there is enough water volume to keep the current inside the box tolerable.

I have tried all kinds of small flashlights. I think the key is to have enough light to attract the larvae without so much light that the parents can easily see and eat them before they make it to the snagger. I never did finess it just right. After my guys were laying on a removable rock, and I finally figured that out, my snagger has been collecting dust.
KathyL

Postby Dman » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:15 am

Out of water
in water
that's how mine look. (mostly)

I couldn't get the pics to show up in the post, so I had to link them
Prisoner Number 8
Currently Paroled (Awaiting a full pardon)
Look for me in 2020
Dman

Postby spk » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:31 am

Thanks folks.

Derek, what size tub is that?

Thanks

Steve
spk

Postby Dman » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:44 am

Here it is broken down
The pump is a Rio 50
The tub is about 12*12*30cm
I have half a dozen of them (6 in metric:)) All of them are different sizes and some of them are too big to use in certain tanks. Volume has proven to be a factor in overnight survival, as in a tub that only holds about a liter is too small to hold a good sized hatch.
I'll get exact measurements later. Basically it has to fit in your tanks is about all
Prisoner Number 8
Look for me in 2020
Dman

Postby Jens Kallmeyer » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:03 am

HI there

Michael Mrutzek, a rather well known German breeder with a pretty decent online shop has developed a larval snagger that he sells in his shop. Below is a link with a picture of his system. AFAIK Peter Schmiedel uses one of these
http://www.shop-meeresaquaristik.de/pro ... -trap.html

Jens
Jens Kallmeyer

Postby BaboonScience » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:10 am

And the link takes you to an page written in english!!! Great. :)
BTW: Looks like he uses black plastic. Good idea. I had wondered if the energy expendature/excitement of captured fish in a clear plastic container might not cause higher losses. Snag them into the dark and they settle down for the night.
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Dman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:04 am

The best all-round snagger I have is one of those tiny little desk top garbage bins from a dollar store measuring 17.5*17.5*24cm
FYI: They can be a bugger to cut without splitting.
Prisoner Number 8
Look for me in 2020
Dman

Postby embryoguy » Wed May 09, 2007 9:39 pm

i made the following. its not that nice but it has worked well for me. i just adjust the power with the controller from the rio 50 pump. the box is from a intank cpr refugium. i cut an opening. than i just took a piece of black plastic, cut out pieces and siliconed them to block the flow along with a sponge around the pump.

embryoguy

Postby spk » Thu May 10, 2007 2:11 am

Great thanks for the pics and ideas.

Keep them coming.

Steve
Steve
spk

Re:

Postby Cardinal » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:44 am

Jens Kallmeyer wrote:HI there

Michael Mrutzek, a rather well known German breeder with a pretty decent online shop has developed a larval snagger that he sells in his shop. Below is a link with a picture of his system. AFAIK Peter Schmiedel uses one of these
http://www.shop-meeresaquaristik.de/pro ... -trap.html

Jens

Anyone tried or has any more info on this product?

Thanks

Peter
"Ancestors plant trees so that their offspring can have shade".
Cardinal

Postby Sylvio » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi

Oder ihr baut euch selber eine :D

http://www.meerwassernachzuchten.de/zoo ... allet.html

MfG Sylvio
Sylvio

Re:

Postby Lady Baboon » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:22 pm

Sylvio wrote:Hi

Oder ihr baut euch selber eine :D

MfG Sylvio

Hi

or you build one yourself :D

Regards Sylvio

Courtesy of the translator team!

This larvalsnagger is Sylvios design and seems to work good. If anybody is interested in it and has questions about the design I can translate the description.
Tina
Lady Baboon

Postby C-Aquafarm » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:18 pm

Hi there

Yes, I'm interested in learn more about that design but unfortunely I can't understand a word.
C-Aquafarm

Postby Cardinal » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:26 am

A translation would be great, thanks!
Cardinal

Postby Lady Baboon » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:42 am

OK I am working on it. Just give me a little time :D and I post the translation as soon as possible.
Thanks
Tina
Lady Baboon

Postby Lady Baboon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:50 pm

OK here is the promised description:

As you can see, Sylvio used the top of a styrofoam box. Then he put a small bucket (has to be black) on top and marked the edge all the way around. After that he cut the marked hole with a sautering gun (like a glue gun but with wire sticking out in front) and then made needed adjustments so that you can move the bucket easily in and out of the hole. As you can see that bucket has handles but a wide rim will support it on the foam base just fine. This base gives it stability when it floats in the water so don't make it too small. Now you mark a line on the outside of the bucket and drill several holes (ca. 8mm) exactly under that line. This is your water line. On top of the bucket you need another pieces of styrofoam. In this you cut a hole that will hold your flashlight (should be a little tight to secure the flashlight). Under this he put a thin piece of foam with a small hole in it so the light in the bucket would not be too bright but it might not be neccessary.
Now assemble everything and put it in the tank making sure it is stable in the water. At hatching time just turn the flashlight on and you can see the light coming through the holes in the bucket. The larvae will swim into the bucket and then can be safely transported into their tank.

I hope this is understandable. If there are questions just fire away and I'll try to answer them with Sylvios help.
Tina
Lady Baboon

Postby KathyL » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:06 pm

That is brilliant, and is the LOW FLOW solution for delicate phototropic larvae! No pumps, electrical cords, etc. I want to try this one....
KathyL

Postby C-Aquafarm » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:42 am

Hi

Thank you for your work Tina.
This prototype is a very good idea. Thanks for sharing Sylvio.
C-Aquafarm

Postby Cardinal » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:23 am

Thanks Lady Baboon! This is worth trying.
Cardinal

Postby mpedersen » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:39 pm

Stumbled upon some olderpictures of my larval snagger, figured I'd post them here:

[ig]http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/DSCN7801_snaggertop.jpg[/img]

[im]http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/DSCN7802_snaggerside.jpg[/img]

FWIW,

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Zooid » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:37 pm

Matt,
Is that a plunger head you are using?
Zooid

Postby mpedersen » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:12 pm

Inverted funnel. I used the funnel and PVC extension to attempt to capture the larvae the very moment they hatched and ran for the surface. Otherwise, I can use the little flashlight to draw the larvae to the intake of the U tube.

FWIW,

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby HereFishyFishy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:35 pm

could a whipser filter be modified to serve as a filter and larvae snagger?
HereFishyFishy

Next

Return to Equipment