Breeding Log - Pajama Cardinal

Re: Breeding Log - Pajama Cardinal

Postby efren » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:24 pm

any updtaes i am begining witn a small group and will try to breed them this year
efren
MOFIB Translator

Postby efren » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:52 pm

hi this morning i foun this male and i guess he is carryng eggs what do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsroGd5ZnLU
efren
MOFIB Translator

Postby efren » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:45 pm

and here are the first larvae compared with a clownfish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN7ULeAyLWc
and here the male realeaseing fry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOQqCXY1AU
efren
MOFIB Translator

Postby William » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:36 pm

I'm back....and picking back up at this.
Will
William

Postby William » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:59 pm

So It's been a about 2 years. Here's what has happened since my last post.

I moved, and it took me about 5 weeks to get my tanks set back up. They lived in 5 gallon buckets during the move. After the move I was really busy for a while, barely had time to feed the fish once a week. Then winter came my fish room is in an un-heated basement, the water temperature averaged around 67-70. Obviously none of this is very conducive to spawning.

This spring, when the water warmed up I started feeding them heavily and by June they were spawning again. :-)

From the first spawn until Tuesday, I did not see the male that is carrying eggs eat once. He has pretty much had a month full of eggs the entire time. Either he has been carrying the same ball of eggs for 2 months, or they are spawning almost immediately when he becomes available.

This Tuesday, I decided to steal the males eggs. I figured I would practice artificially incubate the eggs. But the main reason I pulled the eggs, is so that I would be able to tell when they spawn next so I can count down the days until hatch.

The egg ball I pulled was very small and all of the larvae in the eggs were dead. The main hatch must have been a night or two before and the male was just carrying the few that did not hatch. When I artificially hatch the eggs only about half actually come out of the egg. Good to know that I am not much worse at hatching the eggs than nature.

So I am watching, waiting for the next spawn. Hoping I can beat my record of 8 days. I tossed out all of my old round black tubs. I decided they were too small (they only held 6 or 7 gallons of water) and will be using cube shaped 22 gallon laundry sinks that I painted black.

I still have these guys.
Will
William

Postby Suzy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:23 am

Sweet! I will be watching your endeavors! These are cool fish.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby William » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:16 pm

I was observing them for about an hour before the lights went off last night. 2 of them were hanging out at one end of the tank and when any of the others ventured toward that side of the tank, both chased the invader away.

This morning, all 6 are hanging out together. But one of them has a mouth full of eggs. So the count down begins. :)
Will
William

Postby Suzy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Sweet!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby William » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Well I feel stupid. They hatched last night...and I forgot to collect them......
Will
William

Postby William » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:18 pm

This morning I noticed a different, bigger, male is holding eggs. Unfortunately I don't know for sure that they spawned last night because I have not been keeping an eye on him for eggs because I had never seen him holding eggs before.
Will
William

Postby Suzy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:02 pm

Yahoo! So, you will just have to pay attention every night! Good luck!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby William » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:55 pm

The last batch I mentioned on the 4th I missed. Then I accidentally let the water get too cold and they quit spawning. When I figured out what was going on I warmed the water up and after a week or so they started spawning again.

Last week both males were holding simultaneously. And I finally managed to pull one of them on the right day and got a hatch. YEA...

After I stripped the male, I placed the eggs in an inverted soda bottle (brine shrimp hatching jar...). Within an hour all were hatched. I then transferred the larvae to a 10 gallon aquarium stocked with S rotifers.

24 hours later and there are still some left. I have no idea how many. They are so freaking tiny, could be 2 or 200, they are nearly impossible to see.
Will
William

Postby Suzy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:42 am

Does the "gravid" male look like a bangaii when he is carrying them? Do you strip them just be able to control the larvae when they hatch?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby William » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:06 pm

Suzy wrote:Does the "gravid" male look like a bangaii when he is carrying them? Do you strip them just be able to control the larvae when they hatch?

Yes, it is pretty obvious when he is holding, big mouthful of eggs. Yes, I strip the eggs from the male because I am not a fan of chasing down larvae in the bloodstock tank - too much work.
Will
William

Postby efren » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Good work do you have s rotifers my babies Are too small for l ones
efren
MOFIB Translator

Postby William » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:55 pm

efren wrote:Good work do you have s rotifers my babies Are too small for l ones

I tried before with L rotifers. Had no success.

I'm trying now with S rotifers. Too early to say it the that will make any difference.
Will
William

Postby Suzy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:47 pm

Fingers crossed!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Previous

Return to Sphaeramia