First Night Death

First Night Death

Postby Luis A M » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Hello Luis,

How have you been? Happy 2018! I was wondering if you could give me a bit of help. I currently have several different clownfish pairs, of multiple species, spawning. I take their egg mass (laid on ceramic tiles) on the 8th night (at 27ºC) and put them in the larval tank under a strong aeration and a little bit of greenwater. I get amazing hatch rates, but, on several occasions, much of the larvae die during the first night. Those that survive, are reared to metamorphosis with no problem.

I am at a loss on what is the cause of this; I've read some people calling it Perinatal Massive Death, but no reasons for it to happen have been described. This happens to all of our pairs; about 30-40% of the egg masses laid hatch and survive normally, while the rest of the egg masses present huge die offs during the first night.

Is there any advice you can give me?

Thank you very much and abraços,

Oi Miguel,I'm bringing your PM here since this sometimes happens to other clown breeders.The cause of PMD remains obscure,though several theories were proposed to explain it.I suspect some bacterial issue.What I've done thru these years was taught to me by Joe Lichtemberth and it works most (but not all) the times.I hatch the eggs in a half full 10 gal tank with new ASW at 1.010 with 250 mg of erythromycin.
Good luck!
Luis
Luis A M

Re: First Night Death

Postby swamp.tide » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Luis,

Thanks so much! If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate!
swamp.tide

Re: First Night Death

Postby swamp.tide » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:11 pm

No one... ?
swamp.tide

Return to Amphiprion - Clownfish