Amyloodinum-Chloroquine treatment

Amyloodinum-Chloroquine treatment

Postby Luis A M » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:20 pm

I had again a Velvet outbreak,this time in a system housing mostly pelagic spawners.And again symptoms were progressing slowly and at first didn´t affect the overall fish health which kept feeding and spawning.
I had not suffered Amyloodinum since the 80´s and believed it had been erradicated.And I plead guilty of disregarding quarantine protocols. :oops:
But in those days velvet was a nasty murderous disease,which in a few days decimated a whole tank´s population.First symptom was invariably dysnea (fast and laborious breathing)plus some scratching against hard objects.Then the fish showed a whitish exudate on the skin,but at that time it was too late.Fish only showing dysnea could be cured with 0.3 ppm of Cu.for 2-3 weeks.
Now it is very different;fish show chronic white "dusting"(easier to see on dark skins) and later dysnea and bacterial fins and body affection,until the fish dies.
The FW test is positive for Amyloodinum,and given that A ocellatum is the only species in the genus,it must be a different,low pathogenic strain. :?
And after diagnosis comes treatment;but after the problems found with classic copper therapy (see viewtopic.php?f=136&t=12982 ) I needed to find an alternative yet effective medication.
So I chose to give Chloroquine a try. :?
Luis
Luis A M

Re: Amyloodinum-Chloroquine treatment

Postby Luis A M » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:04 pm

So I medicated this system with 7 mg/L Chloroquine sulphate.
The good thing about this drug is that it is much simpler to use.You give only one dose and there is no need to check and keep dosing as is the case with copper.
On the negative side,it is known to be algicide,which is far from a problem to me as I don´t keep macroalgae in that system and the little algae that grows is soon consumed by the Centropyge angels.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:10 pm

And this drug really works! 8)
Few days after medication,sick fish began to get better.Breathing frequency improved and the skin is getting clear.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:53 pm

All the fish in this system seem cured,except for the anthias,which show fast breathing and some white exudates.Strange because they weren´t much affected when the disease peaked. :?
I gave a new dose of chloroquine for a total of 14 mg/L.I discontinued direct lighting,which is said to inactivate this drug. :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:42 pm

But all the anthias kept getting worse and finally died :(
No parasites found but the gills were congestive and with some petechiae (hemorragic spots).Like something toxic.
Could that chloroquine dose be toxic only to anthias?.All the other fish look fine. :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:36 pm

And then I remembered I had read somewhere that this drug,besides killing all algae thus increasing the bio filter load,it also can affect directly the nitrifier bacteria.An ammonia badge indeed showed "alert". :shock:
The surviving fish keep nice and healthy;could the anthias be especially prone to ammonia toxicity?.Strange. :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby KathyL » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:58 am

Chloroquine sulphate or phosphate? I have phosphate on hand. Haven't heard of sulphate.
KathyL

Postby KathyL » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:13 am

KathyL

Postby Luis A M » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:39 pm

Kathy,Cl.sulphate is the only available locally.It comes in 100 mg chloroquine pills.
Thks for the link,I missed it.This is the most conflicting statement:
There is no known antibacterial activity and therefore will not effect biologic filtration

This seems against my results :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby KathyL » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:04 pm

I suppose it is the chloroquine part that matters.

I've used it on a couple of occasions, and did not notice it having an effect on biofiltration. Once it worked very well in a system with no substantive algae. It killed the ick without any untoward effect.

In the second instance, not sure what was wrong with the fish, they died, and all the algae in the system, and all the bristle worms as well. Shrimps remained happy and spawning. Just anecdotes.

I don't really know that much about diseases and their cures as I have had so little experience with them.
KathyL

Postby Luis A M » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Yes,the chloroquine part. :D
Yeah,diseases suck :evil: So much more fan it´s breeding/raising :lol: I have ordered Noga´s book to be updated. http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Disease-Diag ... WCE2DA07J7
The story goes like this:

7/13-8mg/L was given
7/20-Anthias looked sick,so the drug dosis was repeated.Rest of the fish were better.
7/22-Vibrio:50 CFU,suggesting little bactericidal effect of the drug.
7/25-Badge showed "alert" Tetra test: 0.25 ppm total NH3.The system is serviced by a wet-dry biotower,only some bacterial damage could produce this.
7/30-8/1-All Anthias died showing possible intoxication signs.
8/2-NH3:0.3 ppm
8/4-NH3 reached 1 ppm (both Tetra and Sera kits)All fish hidden and lethargic.Vibrio:1CFU.Began with Amquel plus partial water changes.
8/6 NH3 lowered to 0.25 ppm.
8/8 Vibrio and NH3 remained the same.
8/11 Two liters of bioballs were interchanged with another system.
8/12 NH3 not detectable,and so it remained.Fish returned to normal behaviour.
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Disease