Clownfish breeding season ?

Clownfish breeding season ?

Postby midjim » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:31 am

Do your clownfish have a breeding season ? My clowns all just stopped laying with the first bit of colder weather here in Australia. They have done this the last Three years in a row, does this happen to other people.
midjim

Re: Clownfish breeding season ?

Postby Jake Levi » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:30 am

Its more common in wild caught stock, most tank raised follow the lighting 'seasons' they acclimate to in growing 'up', that said feeding isolated pairs with breeding season lighting often brings results. Most clowns I have 'known' of can be acclimated to seasons for rest and breeding just by adjusting lighting hours. Sometimes also with temperature adjustments, usually though light manipulation will do it.
Jake Levi

Harrisville , MI
Jake Levi

State/Region: Michigan

Postby Amie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:56 pm

I experience the same thing with my clownfish. The tank is in a room that gets the afternoon sun, including sun sets. Because of the latitude I live at, no sun hits the tank in the winter months (the sun sets south of the window). They didn't lay eggs all winter but just started laying about a month ago, when the sun started hitting the window again. I am sure this could probably be simulated, but it might require adjusting the light schedule on a regular basis, including creating a simulation of the phases of the moon.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby potato » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:24 pm

>I am sure this could probably be simulated, but it might require adjusting the light schedule on a regular basis, including creating a simulation of the phases of the moon.

I'm a professional developer by trade and work with simple hardware type products regularly (no smart-phones or anything super fancy. music controllers, accessories for guitars and that sort of thing). I could create a customizable system that could have really advanced settings. It could cycle through the seasons and moon cycles ... and it would be trivial to offer something that matched the actual cycle or one that would progress through the mating season at a normal speed and then progress through the rest/off-season at an accelerated rate to allow you to get them breading more often.

Since we aren't lighting coral and don't need extreme intensities, we could probably make use of full-spectrum RGB lighting to get a really natural approximation ... and be very affordable for the full setup. The actual hardware other than the LED lighting would be somewhere around ~$50-100 with a nice professional case and interface.

Would the community have any interest in something like this?
potato

Clownfish breeding season

Postby IvanoFFmi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:23 am

Well the good thing is there is always another season. Keep breeding and hope you have better results this coming season.

___

XRumer 12.0.16 + SocPlugin: the BEST software for Facebook / VK / Forums / Blogs promotion!
IvanoFFmi

State/Region: Russia

Return to Broodstock