citrinus larvae

citrinus larvae

Postby picci » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi Luis,
I am still fond of citrinus, so still struggling in trying to breed. My couple was silent for almost 6 months (they were with a pair of ambo and 1 Kauderni female). Now moved to a new tank, alone, they are again spawing "as regular as a swiss swatch". My third hatching was the worst in terms of success, larvae did not survive the first night. I need some tips, if you can share.
Light: should it be switched on during or just after hatching or in the morning. Intensity?
food: could it be correct to have eggs hatching in a soup like copepods/algae water? Tetra and I-iso, are those good enough?
Aeration/temperature: ? . I have no clue: larvae are so delicate.....
Sorry, these are the tedious questions from a breeder not having success :roll:
If you already answered, it will be a pleasure to read the topic you will mention.

Cristina
PS I live in the north of Italy, not far from Milano. :D
picci

Re: citrinus larvae

Postby Luis A M » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Hi Cristina,congrats on your gobies! 8)
I will dig for the exact data on my run with them when I get home:
You said you had trouble posting pics?.Could you solve it now?.
We love pics! :lol:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Did you try to post your pic?.You found my intructions easy to follow? :?
Click in "upload attachments" and then "examine".Find your pic, click "open" and then "add the file"-It should work.You can practice using the "preview" function.When everything is ok,then you hit "submit".

I found my original description of G.citrinus,from Oct.´11.You can ask anything from my records.As for your questions;I turn lights on next morning to hatching,a clip over the tank fluorescent bulb.
I feed only after the larvae hatch.In that run,I used T-ISO and Parvo.But TET is fine,too.
Aereation is very gentle,with a central airstone.And temp is fishroom temp,increased a bit due to the lamp,usually about 26ºC.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby picci » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:10 pm

Thanks so much, Luis.
Perfect timing, as they hatched yesterday. Frankly, I put in the same tank with the hatching of ocellaris as I had to restart the parvo culture so I was short in pods and sacrified this small larvae:-( I do not if they will be eaten, just a trial.
I am not so much worried as the nice couple already made their work :-) ready in 4 days time.....
Today, I can see some of the citrinius larvae still alive and I think they also changed colour from transparent to a little darker. But I am not so much confident.
I am using tisbe, amphiphod larvae (?) and plicatis in a mix of Tiso and tetra. The aeration is suitable for ocellaris, I think a little too high.
Next hatching I will follow your instructions.
Crossing fingers.
Cristina

PS the pitcure is related to the previous hatching when they came to life while I was preparing the Iodine bath.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
picci

Postby Luis A M » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:10 pm

I don´t think amphipods produce larvae :? or that Tisbe could be useful here.Was this pic taken with a normal (compound) microscope?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby picci » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:13 pm

I think you are totally right food was not good enough and larvae died, while ocellaris survived. I do really hope to have parvo ready in short time.
Regarding the picture, it has been taken with my samsung mobile. The 1l can was hunged on the border of the tank waiting to be moved in the hatching tank.
picci

Return to Gobiodon - Clown Gobies