Periclimenes yucatanicus

Periclimenes yucatanicus

Postby RoFlores » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:11 pm

I am in the middle of trying to breed my Sexy (Thor amboinensis) and have some 10 gl tanks set up as hatching/nursery barebottom with one anemone tanks. So I moved the Sexy out of my 12 gl. nano and left a pair of Periclimenes yucatanicus to their own devices. Sunday evening I noticed that the female was looking "pinker" on her lower abdomen. I think she is loaded with eggs!!! I took a few pictures so you guys let me know what you think. Now the question I have is this, does the P. yucatanicus need a specific host for the larva to complete the attachment like the Pederson need the Bartholomea anemone. If so, who is the specific host, is is Bartholomea or is it Condylactis? I have found them in both in just about the same rate. Has any one had experience raising the larva? Should I try the same as I'm doing with the Sexy shirmp (segregate the female into a hatching chamber and then releasing the larva into a 5gl tank) ?

Thanks for any help.
Periclimenes with eggs 037 (640x360).jpg

Periclimenes with eggs 039 (1024x682) (640x426).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoFlores

State/Region: Tennessee

Re: Periclimenes yucatanicus

Postby Luis A M » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:35 pm

I guess raising them won't be much different to Thor,and they probably will settle without any special host. :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Amie » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:24 pm

I would agree with Luis, it should be any different than raising Thor. How is it working out when you separate the female? Have you had any issues?
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby RoFlores » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Separating the female into a hatching chamber and leaving the larva there to be raised has worked really well for the Thor. I know for sure that the A. pederson needs the Bartholomea and just found a paper by the Biological Society of Washington that states that the P. yucatanicus need Condylactis gigantea anemoes in order for the larva to attach. The question I now have is do the females get berried without mating? Or do the eggs appear only after mating like in Thor?
Thanks

Within-species variation in Periclimenes yucatanicus (Ives), with taxonomic remarks on P, pedersoni Chace (Crustacea: Decapoda: Caridea: Palaemonidae)

Pages 462 and 463

"Evidently, P. yucatanicus and P. pedersoni
can live on multiple hosts. However,
most records of either species come from
the anemones C. gigantea and B. annulata.
Goy (1990) found that more larval P. yucatanicus
completed metamorphosis sue-VOLUME 108, NUMBER 3 463
cessfully if exposed to exudates of C. gigantea
than to those of other species or none
at all; larval P. pedersoni showed better survival
if exposed to exudates of B. annulata.
Levine & Blanchard (1980) reported that
species of Periclimenes could be stung by
sea anemones to which they were not acclimated."
RoFlores

Postby RoFlores » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:43 pm

Anyone?
RoFlores

Postby Luis A M » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:48 pm

Sometimes some shrimp get berried without a mate.But then the eggs dissapear within a day or two.
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Other Carideans