Venting method questions

Venting method questions

Postby ichthyogeek » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:22 am

Hi all,
I think that I'm solid on starting Banggai's as my first marine breeding project. However, I'm a bit confused on the venting method. The store where I plan on buying Banggais is located an hour away and only gets wild caught stock. Luckily, (I think) I have a pretty good reputation with the employees, and they've agreed that I can bring live foods to plump up the Banggai's with. In around a month, I'm going to go back, with live blackworms and brine shrimp. It would be a big hassle to bring live food there and back, so about how much should I bring with me to plump up around 3-4 of these fish? I'll only be able to go for one day so I can't just go there one day, and come back the next. Does the venting method work on all ages of fish? The ones at the store are around 1.5 inches from mouth to the base of the tail.
Thanks!
ichthyogeek

State/Region: Arkansas

Re: Venting method questions

Postby Amie » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:56 pm

There are a few things wrong with your plan. First of all, if the store is getting wild-caught banggais, and doesn't plan on feeding them live food except when you bring it to them, the fish will die. What will the store be feeding them, when you don't bring them live food? Have they had banggai's before? They shouldn't need your help with live food if they have successfully kept wild banggai's alive in the past.

The question about how much live food to take to the store a month later, is a strange question. How long is the food supposed to last? 1 day? 1 week? And is the store willing to keep the live food gutt-loaded during that time period? Doesn't the store have their own live food? And if driving to the store is a problem, it would most likely be cheaper to mail the live food overnight, using UPS ground, than to drive.

I wouldn't worry about plumping them up, just worry about them staying alive and healthy. The store should be able to do this. If they can not, you need to find another store. If you feel that you can do a better job, then order online and have them shipped directly to you.

Waiting a month before purchasing wild caught banggai's is always a good idea....let the weak ones die at the store before you pay for them. But you will still have a challenge ahead of you, keeping them alive at your home because of the live food issue. They do not switch to non-live food easily.

It can take a year or more, before the banggai's start to breed in your tank. This is yet another reason not to worry about plumping them up at the store, you have plenty of time to do this at your home.

Yes, the venting method works, but not with babies. The body should be at 3/4 "- 1" (not including tail) before the venting is visible. You can not see the venting with the naked eye, you need to take a closeup with a camera, then view. This can be difficult if you are working with fish in a store. If there are several in the tank, it is easy to get them mixed up after the pictures are taken, not knowing which picture goes with which fish.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby ichthyogeek » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:00 am

Sorry, let me reiterate: the store will be feeding them pellets and frozen mysis, but whenever I saw them try to eat, I did not witness them actually ingesting anything, so I'm worried about them just refusing food in general. The store doesn't keep live food, but since I plan on getting blackworms in, and already have a brine shrimp culture, I figure'd that I should see which ones are still eating something instead of wasting away. The reason I want to buy them from a physical store, is because I want to see the males and females with my own eyes, something I can't do with e-stores.

I wanted to plump up the Banggais to make their vents easier to see, not to make them egg producing machines, I know that conditioning them will take quite some time before breeding commences. I'm already delivering the live food to my house, but as stated above, I want to bring enough to make the fish's vents more visible.

Will an iPhone 4 camera work for finding the vents? I can ask them to isolate one fish at a time, and then take a picture to ID if male or female.

Finally, I can't wait a month, because most will either become unavailable due to a)starvation death, b) other customers, or c) noncontrollable events (sudden ich outbreaks, flukes, other factors that just happen "at random").
ichthyogeek

Postby Amie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:01 pm

I've never heard of any wild-caught banggai's eating pellets or frozen food straight from the ocean. If they do not get live food, they will die. If you really want a male and female that is healthy, you should just buy 4-6 of them now so you can make sure they are eating. I am sure you can sell any that you do not want at a later time, after you have selected your pair.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby ichthyogeek » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:02 pm

Amie wrote:I've never heard of any wild-caught banggai's eating pellets or frozen food straight from the ocean. If they do not get live food, they will die. If you really want a male and female that is healthy, you should just buy 4-6 of them now so you can make sure they are eating. I am sure you can sell any that you do not want at a later time, after you have selected your pair.

That's why I'm getting live food in :) !

Unfortunately, I can't buy 4-6 of them. They sell them for 24$ /fish and that's the cheapest I can find them. I also only have a 29 gallon saltwater aquarium for them, and it's already got a few fish in it. Yes, I've checked, and all the fish are safe for the Banggais. Unfortunately, adding 4 Banggais would kill the protein skimmer, and wreak havoc on the biological filter. So no, I can't just buy 4-6 and sell off the other 2-4 when the time comes, besides, my parents are opposed to me taking fish back to the fish store.
ichthyogeek

Postby sabeypets » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:18 am

I have 8 breeding pair, and honestly I can't tell M/F with the venting method. 5 to 10 live adult Brine Shrimp each will fill them pretty good. Live Black Worms sometimes takes a couple of days for them to get use to. I would try both thought. Good Luck.
sabeypets

Postby sabeypets » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:20 am

Amie wrote:I've never heard of any wild-caught banggai's eating pellets or frozen food straight from the ocean. If they do not get live food, they will die. If you really want a male and female that is healthy, you should just buy 4-6 of them now so you can make sure they are eating. I am sure you can sell any that you do not want at a later time, after you have selected your pair.

Wild Caught usually eat frozen Brine Shrimp/Mysis within a couple of days from when they are brought in.
sabeypets

Postby ichthyogeek » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:50 am

I bought a trio...and they all promptly died off. The last one was going pretty good and eating blackworms, but I think that it got too stressed or something...

Thanks sabeypets, I'll definitely keep that in mind for when I try again!
ichthyogeek

Return to Pterapogon - Banggai Cardinal