Sump Design - Advise needed

Sump Design - Advise needed

Postby JulioC » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:29 pm

I´m constructing a new fish room for growout and I´m currently desingning my sump.

I will have several tanks (400 Gal total) conected to a central sump.

I´m planing to have Kaldness K1 and a protein skimmer but I´m not sure abaut the order.

Kaldnes then skimmer
PROS: Bacteria from Kaldness is filtered by the protein skimmer
CONS: More debris will go to the Kaldness and if filtered correct will increase nitrates.

What do you think?
JulioC

Re: Sump Design - Advise needed

Postby Amie » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:33 pm

I don't have an answer, but I'd like to know the answer to this question as well.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby Luis A M » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:04 pm

I don´t either and never tried Kaldness.I like my old bioballs trickle tower. :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Amie » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:37 am

After doing some research, I have found the following answer to this question:

In order to get the greatest efficiency, biological filtration should always come before chemical filtration in order to gain the greatest efficiency, in other words, kaldnes before protein skimmer. If you skim first, you can starve the bacterial population that resides in the kaldnes.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby JulioC » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:35 am

Thank you for your answers !

I´m planning a large system, bacteria will be very busy :D :D

Luis, I also love bioballs, I use them in my current brodstock and growout systems. I just didn´t found "used" bioballs and the price of new ones is the same than the price of kaldness.

I think I´ll put the skimmer after kaldness and I´ll monitor if there are much particulate coming.

The good thing with reserch is that you prevent some mistakes. I was planing to buy a protein skimmer to be feeded directly from tanks but then I read that this way you breake large particles and that it is beter to have mecanichal filtration before the skimmer (remove large particulate with mechanical filtration and the rest with the skimmer).

Regards,
Julio
JulioC

Postby Luis A M » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:26 pm

I know Kaldness are kinda in vogue now,but I still feel that submerged balls can´t compete with "dry"ones in terms of gas exchange and related nitrification capabilities.
And Anthony C.made a strong point about placing the skimmer before the rest of the filtration system.Long thread I think that in RC.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby JulioC » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:56 am

Yes, in my case I have bioballs submerged because I have a lot of power failures.
Having the skimmer before the rest is what I´ve done so far. I´m not sure now because I´ll have some mechanichal filtration before everithing and I don´t want bacteria from K1 going to the tanks.

What I realized is that I can make two compartments in the sump with the same size. If I change my mind I can change the order of K1 and the skimmer.

Thanks!
JulioC

Postby Luis A M » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:30 pm

Most people place the skimmer in the sump,serviced by it´s own dedicated pump.To make it the 1st filtration stage,you must build a sump compartment where system water arrives and the skimmer pump sits.Excess water will simply overflow into the main sump.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby JulioC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:41 pm

Yes, I´ll have a 200 micron bags first and then two stages to have skimmer or K1. Each will have 20x15x10 inch having the sump 20 inch wide.
JulioC

Postby shabaz316 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:36 pm

Hey, just an idea. I am still very new to MOFIB and honestly the hobby in general. My honest thought on this is that it really doesn't matter too much. I feel like having the skimmer in a first chamber after a filter sock is a hastle. It seems to take up more space and require more bubble traps and such. I don't really have an opinion on bioballs but I do have one on kaldnes. First off, its all measured in liters and isn't cheap so try not to waste it if at all possible. Next, when you design your fluidized bed chamber you need to understand the pattern that the kaldnes will flow in. If you place the airstones in the wrong pattern you will not receive the fluidizing motion you are really looking for. Might want to look into a guy on youtube called uarujoey. He's a freshwater breeder in canada but has done a lot of videos on the stuff and worked in a lot of sump designs. My thought is that unless you have an amazing skimmer that does more than any other skimmer on the market I don't think it matters. your kaldnes will still have the nitrites to feed off of and your skimmer will still pull skimmate just fine. I know some people actually opt for having a HOB skimmer instead because they think that is the water touches the sump media it is instantly cleansed and the skimmer won't pull anything. Rubish I say. when you are pushing water at 6-9 times turnover an hour I really dont think your order is that important. What really matters is the sump design. If you find the media would work better on one part of the sump, fine. I think you will be fine any way you slice it. Just do your watershanges and all will be okay.
shabaz316

State/Region: Tennessee

Return to Growout