low frequency ocean noise experiment

low frequency ocean noise experiment

Postby lavoski » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:33 pm

Hey guys and gal's,

i am starting an 8 week project here in the french marine research institute CRIOBE and i am looking for a few useful pointers on how my set up can be optomised for my experiment.

I am hoping to bring eggs in from the lagoon here from the native species of clownfish (Amphiprion Chrysopterus) and wish to raise them in two different treatments to discover if the rising levels of low frequency noise in our worlds oceans will have a negative effect on the larval development. This is particularly important as the larvae of these fish have a pelagic dispersal phase and I am hoping to show that with ever increasing background ambient noise levels the larvae will have a reduced chance of reaching metamorphasize age due to this and not as many will make it back to the lagoons where they recruit themselves to an anemone.

the problem i am having is the sound propagation of the ambient noise i will be using. i can create a good sound dispersal within a large tank of which i have 2, but i will be using many couples clutches of eggs to help me have as many replicates as possible from my experiment. Is it possible to put many different larvae from different parents into the one tank together and give them all the same sound within the one tank? will they eat each other if they are differnt sizes or will they be ok with each other in the one tank? I've tried scientific literature about this but no one seems to have published anything about this topic.

If anyone has tried a similar type of thing before could you please let me know as i dont want to kill anymore larvae than what is absolutly necessary for my research. If you need anymore info about this work feel free to ask, i have always had my best advice about such things from forums like this and i am as always deeply grateful for any opinions you have regarding my problem at hand.

cheers in advance for any help and i hope to hear from you all soon

David Laverty
University of Ulster, Northern Ireland
lavoski

State/Region: moorea

Re: low frequency ocean noise experiment

Postby Luis A M » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Welcome David to Marine Breeders-MOFIB! :D
Your field of research is interesting.Some years ago,one of our members in New Zealand found that the noise produced by a coastal reef was the clue offshore larval fish were using for locating it and head there to complete meta.That involved mostly tripletails as I recall.It is conceivable that man produced noise could in some places interfere with this natural mechanism.
But about your question,you can perfectly mix nests of several pairs and raise them together,even if not of the same age;larger juvs won´t eat the smaller.
Some time ago,I met a gentleman who was collecting late fish larvae offshore with light traps,have them meta in his lab in the french Polynesia and later shipped the juveniles to France for final grow-out.Do you know if this project met any success?.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby lavoski » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:58 pm

I have no idea about this experiment, but if it was conducted here at my research station i will find out for you from one of the permanent staff here.

Thanks again for the information, i have just kept my clutches of eggs separate for now as yet again the overall aim of the experiment has changed lol.
We now are hoping to measure differences in the growth of the larvae that are kept under 2 varying degrees of anthropogenic noise. It is expected that the larvae exposed to the greater of these 2 effects will not grow as fast or as quickly as the quieter noise as by increasing the noise pollution levels to a chronic exposure, it will imbalance the homeostasis of the larvae and this will mean more of the larvaes energy will be put into correcting for this and take it away from other uses such as their growth and development.

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated very much

David
lavoski

Postby lavoski » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:38 am

do you remember his name? I can ask around here to find out if this was the place he done it. Thanks for the info, thats good news for my methodology. I will try to keep you updated on the work as i go along. is there an option to include pictures for uploading in posts?
lavoski

Postby Luis A M » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Yes,you can post pictures here. 8)
See the following about Vincent Dufour: http://www.spc.int/DigitalLibrary/Doc/F ... Dufour.pdf
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Growout