ciliates for larval feeding

ciliates for larval feeding

Postby ohadshimon » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:50 am

Hello
My name is Ohad, and i am part of a team that cultures ciliated protozoa (Conc. of 10k for ml) for fish larvae feeding. our main focus was food fish, such as groupers and bluefin tuna. Recently we decided to test our product on ornamental fish larvae.
My questions to you, who know this world better then me.
What fishes are good to start with (with problems in the larval stage) ?
Do you think larval feeding is a major obsticale in culturing ornamental fishes ?

Best regards
Ohad
ohadshimon

State/Region: Israel

Re: ciliates for larval feeding

Postby Luis A M » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:27 pm

Shalom Ohad,welcome to Marine Breeders-MOFIB!
The subject of using marine ciliates in larviculture is promising and interesting.Little has been done about this.
Most of the marine ornamental species can not be raised and this could be due to lack of a suitable first food.Damsels would be a good model for your research,as they are easy to spawn and very hard to raise.
Please tell us what species are you culturing and which are the protocols you have developed?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby chico_andrade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:51 am

Hi Ohad and Luis,

This is a very interesting paper on purple firefish breeding and rearing. The autor found the best survival occurred When feeding ciliates for a week before feeding rotifers, an excelent 66% survival. Even better then the copepod nauplii and rotifer diet.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 613006820#

Chico
chico_andrade

Postby Luis A M » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:39 am

Oi,Chico,obrigado pelo link!
Have you seen the paper?.Could you tell us something from "materials and methods",i.e. how Euplotes are cultured and harvested?.VC pode me enviar copia a meu e-mail?.
Euplotes was proposed by Valenti many years ago as a larval food,before rotifers took the scene.
Too bad we don't hear more from Ohad,he must have lots to tell us!
Luis
Luis A M

Postby ohadshimon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:20 am

Hello
I have few insight about ciliates to share with you.
To start the ciliates culture you need to get the ciliates first, and i recommend to get them from places where they grow alage. you'll get a mix of protozoa and you need to play with the conditions if you want only the ciliates (temp/salinity/PH/aeration)
The Euplotes is very tolerant to salinity changes- you can grow them in low salinty (5 ppt) and high (60 ppt) with no problem.
As for food, i just finish testing all kinds of beans/lantis and they all work good (boiled them and add a bit to the water each day)..
Euplotes is bactervivor so its very important to maintain the bacteria in the tank.
But the difficulty is to clean the meduim when you want to feed the larvae (you dont want all the organic matterial)- If its not big volume you can try different nets with mesh size of 40 micron or less, if its a big volume thats a problem..
the amonia levels in the culturing tank are pretty high so you will have to monitor that.
ohadshimon

Postby Luis A M » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi Ohad,could you raise some larvae on ciliates already?.Could you tell us or link to some publications?
What spp have you worked with?.Strombidium were used to raise trigger larvae by Baensch.
May be I am wrong,but I thought that some marine ciliates can feed on unicelular algae,same as copepods and rotifers,which would be very convenient in terms of culture management and nutritional value.While others feed on bacteria and must be cultured in organic rich broths,like a peptone medium.
In any case,large ciliates could be strained and flushed in a 25 mics mesh?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby ohadshimon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:51 am

Hey
we raised larvae of groupers, bluefin tuna and Gilt-head bream- they are food fish..
as for ornamental we want to try our product (havent done it yet), and we are looking for good candidates.
for the ciliates- you right, you can grow them on unicellular alage but youll not get the best growth rate in that way.. there are spp that feed on bacteria ( i dont add peptone to the meduim- tried 26 different kinds, not that big difference)
there are servel works on feeding ornamental larvae with ciliates- there is a guy in italy who wrote those articles:
1.Spawning, early development, and first feeding in the lemonpeel angelfish Centropyge flavissimus
2.Breeding and rearing the Sunrise Dottyback Pseudochromis flavivertex: the importance of live prey enrichment during larval development
another one from india- http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 613006820#
you can work with 25 mic mesh, ill use first in 60 and 40 before the 25...
ohadshimon

Postby Luis A M » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:23 pm

Well,some groupers are also ornamental fish :wink: They have small mouthed larvae.
Do you consider Euplotes a good species for 1st larval food?
How you prepare your bean concoction?.After boiling you let it sediment or strain it before adding it to the cultures?.
Ciliates cultured on some vegetables had been the standard 1st larval food of FW fish long ago,when ornamental fish were 1st raised.Somehow we are closing a full circle and return to the basis?.After so many years of working with plankton organisms :shock:
FW ciliates concentrate on the surface of the culture medium when aeration is shut,and they can be collected there.Have you tried this with SW ciliates?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby ohadshimon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:57 am

hey
you can strain it so you wont have lots of organic matter ( i didnt do it)
as for collecting- its not working with sw ciliates, but you can try cool the culture and they should sink to the bottom.
Euplotes have all the characters to be a good 1st larval food- and soon we will have answer if it is.
But an important question that need to be asked is about the genetic quality. If fish have R breeding strategy and few survive in nature, and even when we try to raise them in close system still surviving rates are low- could it be that their genetic material is the problem. maybe most of them have poor genetic material and they wont make it anyway, but they will increase the chances of those few with the good genetic material. in that way if you think in terms of energy the parents save energy cause they dont making all the embryos with good genetic matterial.. of course that we consider the low surviving rates in nature due to predators but maybe there is something else... just a thought about surviving rates.... but then again if we'll feed with ciliats and surviving rates will be high and stay high every time, then this all theory will fall...
good day
ohadshimon

Postby Luis A M » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:58 am

R strategy is a blessing for us breeders.Our demersal spawners have a natural survival of about 1% and pelagic spawners 0.1 %.But under our conditions this can be greatly improved :wink:
How do you prepare your favorite growing medium?.What size you advise for stock cultures?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Luis A M wrote:How do you prepare your favorite growing medium?.What size you advise for stock cultures?

Bump :roll:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Jake Levi » Thu May 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Shalom Ohad

Do you have links for 1 and 2 above?

Good to see you here. Are you inland, Jordan Valley or on the coast ?
Jake Levi

Harrisville , MI
Jake Levi

State/Region: Michigan

Postby natureAddict » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:26 am

for someone who does not own a microscope, how do i 'see' cilates?
natureAddict

Return to Larva