White Glove Shrimp

White Glove Shrimp

Postby malau » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:35 am

Anyone tried to breed white glove shrimp? I googled but couldnt find many resources....
malau

Re: White Glove Shrimp

Postby Luis A M » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:28 pm

Do you know the scientific name?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby malau » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:29 pm

Sorry I dont know about their sci. name..

however here is the photo see if you guys can ID... I missed first batch of eggs

malau

Postby CaptCrash » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:20 am

malau wrote:Sorry I dont know about their sci. name..

however here is the photo see if you guys can ID... I missed first batch of eggs

I think these are similar to some I have. I think that they are either Palaemon serenus or Palaemon serrifer.

If you get some fry from them, it would be interesting if they look like
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr351/dnancarrow/Aquarium/Breeding/What%20am%20I
Note: forum wont let me post pictures over 600px high so click on link for album.

These fry are about 3-4mm long and they are attracted to light (but less than the Lysmata vittata) and will "hang" from the water surface with their heads down.
They are very quick swimmers and until I looked at them with the camera, I was thinking that they were a fish larvae/prolarvae from their swimming motion.
Stay up to date with my attempts at Regal Tang Breeding here http://facebook.com/RegalTangBreeding
CaptCrash

Postby malau » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:48 am

CaptCrash: Really thanks for your help. I am from Australia too in Sydney. The shrimp I got is from QLD RS.

I never have a chance to get the fry as I have to work.. It seems they do it during daytime when the timer is still off (my timer on from 4/5 pm- 12 am).

I still have 1 shrimp left which still have eggs. I believe they did give birth instead of get rid of the eggs because I still can see the eyes in the eggs (the black dot)... Any suggestion to prevent me miss the eggs again??

Many thanks
malau

Postby CaptCrash » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:21 am

I have been collecting them at night with one of of the chad vossen larvae snaggers. If you can see eyes in the eggs, you could try catching the adult and putting it in a bucket with water, heater and an airline for a day or two. That way you will get the fry.

I am not 100% sure that the pics are the larvae from them, but its likely as they are the only thing numerous enough in my tank to be the culprits.

I have read about people collecting them from Sydney Harbour and from Melbourne also from Perth at marina and s/w inlets.
Stay up to date with my attempts at Regal Tang Breeding here http://facebook.com/RegalTangBreeding
CaptCrash

Postby Luis A M » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Isn´t this shrimp a Lysmata? :?
Do you see ALL of them carrying eggs?.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby CaptCrash » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:34 am

Luis A M wrote:Isn´t this shrimp a Lysmata? :?
Do you see ALL of them carrying eggs?.

I origionally thought they was a Lysmata, but the only information I have been able to find from the locally avaliable shrimp species was that they were Palaemon serenus or Palaemon serrifer. The source info I have is not very reliable (its just postings on a forum) and matching the images to some Australian Academic sources.

http://bie.ala.org.au/species/urn:lsid: ... 1de4340476

In terms of eggs, I have about 8 or so of the adults, I dont notice that many of them carrying eggs. But to be fair, they are transparent and quite jumpy so its difficult to tell and I have not really focused that much on them. Ill do a bit of a sensus tonight and update the thread.
CaptCrash

Postby till » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:05 am

its shurly a species of Palaemon. Larvae should be easy to raise on NHBS. good luck!
till

Postby malau » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:32 am

The eggs the shrimp has is green in color just see if yours are the same?

Talking about breeding all my breeding creature including SH seems know the winter is coming and they stop breeding until the first wk of spring
malau

Postby Luis A M » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:48 pm

If you keep two shrimp,and you see both carrying eggs,you can be sure you have Lysmata (or close relatives-hippolytidae).
But if they are Palaemon,they will be easier to raise,as Till stated. 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Postby malau » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:10 am

I got 5 from LFS at the beginning which I believe at least 1 of them is male (got some black area close to the tail.. dont know the tech term of that area).. and 3 were carrying eggs. However I missed all. Seems they hatch when I go to work and I couldnt find any fry ... :( hate that... I should hire a parttime stay at my home to monitor
malau

Postby CaptCrash » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:55 am

I was able to look at 5 of the 8 in my tank last night. Not a single one seemed to have eggs.
Tonight, I was collecting some Lysmata amboinensis fry and again collected about 40 of the mystery fry.

Of the two batches that I have collected so far, they were in with either Lysmata amboinensis or Lysmata vittata and NHBBS, but I dont think they have made it yet the Lysmata are going fine.
CaptCrash

Postby malau » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:58 pm

CaptCrash wrote:I was able to look at 5 of the 8 in my tank last night. Not a single one seemed to have eggs.
Tonight, I was collecting some Lysmata amboinensis fry and again collected about 40 of the mystery fry.

Of the two batches that I have collected so far, they were in with either Lysmata amboinensis or Lysmata vittata and NHBBS, but I dont think they have made it yet the Lysmata are going fine.

May I know how large is your bloodstock tank?
malau

Postby CaptCrash » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:06 am

Its my display tank, seperate to the breeding systems.
The tank is an 8x2.5x2 with a 4x2x2 sump, about 1400L/370 US Gal.

You can see details http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 5&t=249822
CaptCrash

Postby malau » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:34 am

Just wonder if they are both sex in same body like peppermint or have male/female? I just lost one today (the one in the pic above) and not sure if the rest are female
malau

Postby Luis A M » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:00 pm

This is why I was asking before.Lysmata (and kin) are the only hermaphrodite crustaceans.All the other need both sexes.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby CaptCrash » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:18 am

malau wrote:Just wonder if they are both sex in same body like peppermint or have male/female? I just lost one today (the one in the pic above) and not sure if the rest are female

Luis A M wrote:This is why I was asking before.Lysmata (and kin) are the only hermaphrodite crustaceans.All the other need both sexes.

I dont see any evidence of them being hermaphrodites.

I have 8 of these in my tank, 2 appear to cary eggs (a third possibly but not confirmed as yet as it was hiding too well).

In the same tank there are:
6 x Lysmata vittata and 5 have eggs (one who molted last night does not have eggs).
2 x Lysmata amboinensis both of which have eggs
CaptCrash

Return to Other Carideans