New fish ,fussy feeders.

New fish ,fussy feeders.

Postby midjim » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:23 am

I got a new Picasso and a Platinum almost two weeks ago from a large bulk fish shop. Well I have had only about 50 percent succsess with fish from here before, but we have no choice in Aus for getting these types. They went into a established Quarantine tank, and the Picasso which was a 1.5 inches never ate at all and is dead. The platinum which is a bit smaller will only eat baby live brine shrimp nothing else, it seems a bit skinny but happy enough. I put one of my young occy clowns in there so it would watch it eat but still nothing, i am going to try worming it tomorrow any suggestions as i have tried every food avialable and baby brine don't seem like enough food to me.
midjim

Re: New fish ,fussy feeders.

Postby aquagrrl » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:40 am

Can you clarify what foods you tried?

I've had good luck with finicky eaters with both Nutramar Ova and Mysis shrimp.

Also, if they're eating bbs, I'd continue feeding it. You can enrich it to make it better.

If they're only eating live food, have you tried adult live brine shrimp? That can be enriched as well. Also, live mysis might be useful, but I don't know where one obtains it from the AU.

One concern I have though is that generally clowns are not even a little bit finicky when it comes to food. Is it possible something else is causing this? You seem to be on to this with deworming, but I would assume the fish would have to be pretty far gone for it not to feed at all. I'm also wondering if it might not be something like brook. Are you noticing any problems with the appearance of the fish, or their behavior? And what are the water parameters in the quarantine tank?
- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Postby midjim » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:50 am

Hello Aquagrrl,I have tried ocean nutrition flake and pellets, spectrum pellets small, brine shrimp pellets, spirulina, frozen green prawn, squid hand caught and enriched frozen brine shrimp. I have never heard of nutramar ova and have not tried mysis, I am enriching some brine shrimp at the moment. I have seen it eat one brine shrimp pellet. I have put in an additive for a bacterial infection a few days ago.I am not ruling out brook but can see no sighn of it, but it is hard to see on the skin of a all white fish.The fish is thin but active and the water conditions are spot on with large daily water changes.
midjim

Postby aquagrrl » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:03 pm

Nutramar Ova is prawn eggs. In my house it's also known as 'fish crack'. This is the manufacturers website: http://www.nutramar.com/ova.html. Even if you can't get this, perhaps you can get something similar.

I'd try more frozen foods and skip the flakes and pellets for not. In addition to mysis, perhaps a bended food like forumla 1: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=8159

What additive did you use for a bacterial infection? Antibiotics need to be used for a full course or they won't be effective, and could create a resistant strain. If it's one of those tea tree oil additives like melafix, I'm not sure they do anything.

What do you mean that the water conditions are spot on with large daily water changes? Is there fluctuations in things like ammonia that require daily water changes? Specifics will help, it's frequently that what looks okay to one person will be recognized as a problem by another.
- Tami
aquagrrl

Postby midjim » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:37 pm

I am on night shift at the moment and about to finish and then sleep. I cannot remeber the name of the bacterial medication, I will look when I get home. I will do some more water test also but tested only two days ago and all the levels were good. I always do lots of water changes in my quarantine tanks as it is only 50 litre but has been running for a couple of years, no changes when there is no fish in it but. I also do heaps of water changes if i think somthing is wrong hoping to get rid of anything bad in it and I run it in hypo salinity as well.
midjim

Postby aquagrrl » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:56 pm

"all the levels were good."

I instantly disbelieve any comment along these lines. It's not you, it's me! But having been on message boards as long as I have for this hobby, 50% of the time someone says this, something is off. Just on another board someone was saying their "levels were good" but when pressed, their ammonia was .25ppm. But their fish store said that was safe as did the test kit.

So, having said that, it would be helpful to know what good is, i.e. ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Also, I didn't ask it earlier, but what is the temperature of the tank at?
- Tami
aquagrrl

Postby midjim » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:51 am

Ok a little taken back there, but here goes all done this afternoon. First up he ate two frozen brine shrimp today and a heap of baby brine, but still skinny. the bacteria additive was bactonex by aqua sonic, ammonia 0 ppm, nitrates undetectable,ph 7.9 and specific gravity1.019, temp 74 f. I think the ph is down because of the 1.019 gravity correct me if i am wrong. The fish was a bit more active today and rushes at the food but has the first bite and you can tell it does not like it. I wish so much we had a good breeder here in Aus that you could get healthy fish off.
midjim

Postby aquagrrl » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:36 am

Okay, a quick search and I found a little on bactonex. It does more than I expected it to, but it's a very mild medication. It sounds like it's best for external worms, and is probably more useful in freshwater. But I don't think it would do anything for internal parasites or any serious bacterial infection. Its more or less an antiseptic.

A lower salnity won't cause lower ph- at least not at that level. This explains it pretty well: http://forums.randi.org/archive/index.php/t-215764.html 7.9 is on the low side but I wouldn't say it's critical and probably not causing your issues. Do you have good surface water movement to facilitate gas exchange?

The temperature is a little on the low side for clowns. I'd bump it up to at least 78. Clowns do best between 78-82.

If he's attempting to eat, that's good. I'd play around with different frozen foods and see if that helps. It does sound promising that he's eating. And if he's only really into the baby brine shrimp, I'd consider enriching that to get some fat on him.
- Tami
aquagrrl

Postby midjim » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:37 pm

The tank is set up with e weir going into a back section threw a filter matt, then the water drops into a few sections and is pumped back over to the main part of the tank. The flow is not real heavy but i think it would have a high turn over, I did have a pair of occys breeding in this tank for about two years. I will put a heater in and am trying to enrich some baby brine with spirulina at the moment. I also received a pair of Orchid dotty backs yesterday and one has a shredded pectoral fin. The quarantine tank they are in just has a large sponge filter in it, do you think that bactonex would be of any use to the fin or would it wreck the good stuff in the filter.
midjim

Postby aquagrrl » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:19 pm

It sound like ui have adequate flow to allow for good gas exchange. I'd start looking at some of the other possible causes for low ph such as alkalinity and possibly even just too much co2 in an enclosed space.

Spirulina is okay, but you really want something with a high lipid content, specifically something with DHA. DHA selco is one option, as is algamac-3050. I suspect DHA selco is going to be easier to find in Australia, but I'm not sure. What you probably want to do is look into aquaculturing supplies.

I'd personally wait on the dottybacks to see if the fin heals on its own or gets worse. But, ultimately you're going to be a better judge than me because you are seeing it in person. I suspect the bactonex will harm the filter based on the ingredients. It might not wipe it out completely, but chances are it will knock it back. If you do use it, watch for any ammonia spikes.
- Tami
aquagrrl

Postby midjim » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Thank you for your help Aquagrrl I will let you know what happens..
midjim

Postby midjim » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Well he is eating well now, mainly enriched frozen brine shrimp and even som flake food. He rushes at the food so things are looking good. The Orchid dotty backs are scratching on anything they can find so I have lowered the salinity, fingers crossed.
midjim

Return to Nutrition