Anybody use paprika?

Anybody use paprika?

Postby Rocky » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:03 pm

I have been feeding my fish mostly a homemade frozen food. It seems that most breeders use homemade food as a part of their feeding reginment, but does anybody add paprika? I have heard that it can help the fish color up.
Rocky

State/Region: ohio

Re: Anybody use paprika?

Postby Suzy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:31 pm

Really? That would be cool.

Now I don't feel as nervous about the huge crap load of flying fish roe I bought today. The only ingredient was sugar, salt and red coloring...
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby BaboonScience » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:37 pm

Yes, I love paprika on my fish!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I have never heard of this.
Interesting.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Rocky » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:09 pm

Goes great with chicken too :)

I listen to a podcast talkshow (petfishtalk) where they briefly talked about it.
I searched mofib and found just a brief mention about it

Anthony Calfo wrote:There are a staggering number of other organisms and ingredients on the planet that will color your seahorses and other fishes as well or better than endangered shrimp. Many sources are not even aquatic... take paprika for example. Care to guess what happens when you feed fishes paprika (check the ingredients on some of the commercial foods and many of the best home-made fish breeder recipes)? Gut loading mollies, guppies, ghost shrimp, etc with paprika-laced food does wonders.?

Thought maybe I was missing out on a good ingredient that everybody else knew about already.
Rocky

Postby Scottt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:51 am

I've never heard of it.
Just for the record, I haven't used homemade food in over a year, just because of the annoyance of making it. Having just as good luck with commercially available: brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, PE Mysis, cyclop-eeze, blood worms, garlic, and separately Otohime pellets.
Scottt

Postby Luis A M » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Yes,it was an ingredient in the 1st gelatin food formulas,years ago.They didn´t have NatuRose at that time :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Suzy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:51 pm

i just found out yesterday that my fish love red colored roe. I looked for unseasoned roe at our local asian food market, this one just had salt, sugar and red coloring.

I figure the salt won't hurt them, as they live in salt water, and the sugar will act like a carbon source AKA cheap Vodka!

And, most of my fish are red, reddich or would look cool red.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Rocky » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:17 pm

I use red eggs too, the fish go absolutely nuts for them. I also bought them at an asian market and have the same ingredients that yours have, probably the same thing. I added some to my last batch of homemade fish food. :)
Rocky

Return to Nutrition