sulfer reactor

sulfer reactor

Postby Seabreeze » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:52 am

I am having trouble controlling nitrates in the breeder system, despite relatively small amounts of feed I have enough bio and mechanical filtration, but I can't control the nitrates (and probably the phosphates but I have not measured). I have a fuge with cheto, but it does not grow at all, even with enough light and flow, etc.

Has anyone had any luck with a sulfur reactor or carbon reactor or fluidized sand bed reactor? Any new techniques to lower nitrates?

Tx
SB
Seabreeze

Re: sulfer reactor

Postby joebean » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm

I dose vodka in my breeders system and it keeps my nitrates way down
My problem is the phosphates building up
joebean

Postby Clownfish75 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:48 am

I have used many sorts of filters and i think it depends on your load.

You could dose with carbon (vodka) but its a little unknown if you ask me.
Sulphur reactors are very efficient at removing nitrate, but you need to have an ORP controller or you just run the chance of killing everything.
Biopellets might work, but never tried it, will almost garanteed make your water milky at the start, probably on a breeding system a UV would be a must with a biopellet reactor.
Deep sand beds are a waste of time and algae growth is a double edged sword, i had nothign but issues when i was using algae scrubbers.

Phosphate i have found lathinum and water changes to maintain ionic balance (not sure inonic balance is an issue for fish) but the lanthinum will certianly give the phosphate a hard time. Getting the floculant out of the water could be fun though.
Clownfish75

Postby chuggy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:46 pm

bio pellets work great for me, combined with a huge oversized skimmer. I also liked my scrubber just hated cleaning it but it worked well.
chuggy

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry