Guerry's first breeding system build

Guerry's first breeding system build

Postby Guerry » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:07 pm

Ok everyone here we go, I'm one to take the bull by horns on most everything I do but starting small here LOL. My plan is to start small and if everything goes well expand in the future. This set up will be in my home office which is small room that my wife allows me to have. I started by buying four 20gal tanks four 10gal and two 30 breeders, this allowed me to design selving for the space I will be using. The selving unit I built is basic 2x4 and plywood constuction pictured below

Here's pitures of stand after being moved in house

I've also started my phyto and zoo culture station, I found a great stand at Sams Culb for less than $100. which I thought was good deal

I know it's probably alittle soon for growing phyto and rotifers but I feel it's best to go ahead and get this learning curve out the way. So today I started building sump for brood stock, it's been along time sinse I did anything with Bio-Balls but from all my reading seems to be what I need for this system. The first step here was layout design and for this I just drew out on sheet of arcylic

once I had design on paper instead of bunching around in my head I cut all my pieces and began the assemelly, here's a few pictures of parts starting to go together

more to come :mrgreen:
Guerry

Re: Guerry's first breeding system build

Postby EasterEggs » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:37 am

Looks great! Your rack is very similar to my broodstock rack. I'm a reefer from way back, and yeah it's been a lonnnng time since I had a use for bioballs! It was easy to find people giving them away for free though...bonus! :D My broodstock system right now is about 120 gallons, and I have 2 or 3 gallons of submerged bioballs (flow through design though), a EuroReef RS-180 skimmer, and a ball of Chaeto that never grows. I do fight nitrate and have to do 50% weekly waterchanges to keep nitrate below 40 ppm (to keep my inverts alive and also breeding). I find if I siphon the tank bottoms mid-week I can really cut down on waterchanges though. Considering the cost of these huge waterchanges I am going to build an algae turf scrubber (ATS) to reduce nitrate and phosphate. There are some ATS forums around, although I can't seem to find them right now...maybe someone will post a link.
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Postby clownfishplanet » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:56 am

It looks very nice. It is a great idea to start learning about the phyto cultures this early. Most of this is learned by trial and error, so better to learn it now than when you already have little fishes waiting for food.
One thing that I saw from your sump design is that you probably need more space on the top of the bio balls chamber for mechanical filtration material. If you don't put anything like that, the BB are going to get dirty from detritus very quickly. Probably you already thought on that, but it is just something that I did not see on the design.

Good luck and keep on posting, this look very promising...
clownfishplanet

Postby Guerry » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:55 am

Thanks for responce guys, Easteregg I know what you mean about the bio-Balls I think i've still got a 55gal drum worth that I've never been able to give away LOL. As for the ATS I've been resreaching them good link here http://algaescrubber.net/forums/forum.php

clownfishplanet it's hard to see but in the first layout pic. theres an area above main sump where filterfloss will go, good catch thow and thanks I'm going need all the help I can get with this :mrgreen:
Guerry

Postby EasterEggs » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:05 pm

That's the link i was looking for! Thanks for posting it.

The mechanical filtration that clownfishplanet refers to I accomplish by using filter socks on the drain to the sump. The filter sock drains onto the top of the bioballs. I have a breeding room thread around here somewhere...I posted lost of pics if you're interested in looking at my design.
EasterEggs

Postby Guerry » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:04 pm

I've got probably 20 filter socks around the house rainging from 25micron to 200micron for my reef system but any more I just use then when I storm the tank or just want to polish the water a bit. I may be wrong but I think my reef is happier without stripping so much of the zooplankton. So if I do need them for brood stock system I've got plenty but want to try the filter pad first like I did so many years ago LOL
Guerry

Postby BaboonScience » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:06 pm

Great Design, Guerry!
I really think that the tank stands are somewhat overbuilt, but that is not a bad thing (LOL).
The "Sams Club" racks are good for the task as well. Perhaps overkill but that is another thread (lol).
BTW, those pics of your build are absolutely incredible. If someone cannot get an idea from those pics, the probably should be knitting potholders on a loom.
Problem solving, I see no immediate problems in design. So... on to the next step, right? Lets condition and plant some pairs.
Good luck and almost there.
John the Big Baboon.
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Guerry » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:14 am

thanks, I've been working hard to get it all right. I've got two pairs so far that are living in my reef system, one pair in frag tank and one pair in DT. Hope to get sump done soon so that I can finsh plumbing and get cycle going. I,m planning on lighting system with LEDs , I use them for my reef system and have been able to pay for this build with money from power savings on the other two systems :mrgreen:
Guerry

Postby Guerry » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:38 pm

Well I've got alittle more done on sump, Made the dip plate for bio-balls and glad I widend the hole spacing which i started at 1/2" but then went with 3/4" still ending up with 320 1/8" holes

then if that wasn't enough i taperd then to LOL

I also got the euro bracing done

then the top box where filter media goes pre dip plate

with all this done now it's time to wait for solvent to fully dry before water testing, after that I will install probe holder and polish edges
Guerry

Postby simo2004 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:40 pm

This looks good tagging along for ride
simo2004

Postby Guerry » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:02 pm

simo2004 wrote:This looks good tagging along for ride

Thanks, glad to have you around for the ride :mrgreen:
Guerry

Postby Guerry » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Ok everyone I've got the sump done :mrgreen:

so today I water tested and everything went great

next I drilled sump for bulkheads and auto top off system

then I added bio-media to bottom of bio-ball chamber and 8gals of bio-balls , I think it can hold two more gals of bio-balls with no problem just need to clean some more

well next is to plumb everything up, tomorows probably out but hope to have water flowing by next weekend
Guerry

Postby Guerry » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Well today I finally was able to start plumbing on this system, I decided to go with just four 20 gal tanks for now. Here's picture of overflow piping to sump

I also was able to start return plumbing and connected ATO from ro/di system

stat tuned more soon :mrgreen:
Guerry

Postby clownfishplanet » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:31 am

Hi, those black pvc drains looks very nice and the setting very clean. Two things that I noticed: those two pumps are maybe too much flow for the drain that you have, let us know how are you going to use them.
And, are those valves or faucets any kind of metal material like copper or something like that?? If yes, you should change them for pvc or plastic.

Thanks for the update, keep on the good work...
clownfishplanet

Postby Guerry » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:05 am

Thanks, I painted the pvc for that added touch. As for flow right now I plan to run just one pump, It's a blueLine 40 pressure pump rated @ 21' of head so I should get at least 75gph per tank. The second bulkhead is for future, I'm just trying to think ahead alittle. The valves are globe valves and 100% plastic, I found them at Florida Aqua Frams. If all goes as planned I should have water flowing in the next couple of days and get everything cycling :mrgreen:
Guerry

Postby clownfishplanet » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 am

Perfect!!! Planning ahead is what we all should do on this hobbie... That saves us a lot of time, work and money :mrgreen: .

Good luck and keep on posting.
clownfishplanet

Postby EasterEggs » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:22 am

Fwiw, I have about 2-3 gallons of submerged bioballs (don't work as well as trickle), and this keeps up to 10 pairs of clownfish & other similarly sized fish in a 120 gallon system.
EasterEggs

Postby Guerry » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:47 pm

thanks for the tip, mine have about 3" under water and about 8" above with total system volume of 180gal for now
Guerry

Postby jolson » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:05 am

nicely designed and well built, looks and sounds like you plumbed your RO/DI directly to your system. You may want to rethink that, I have had 2 failures where the float stuck open and flooded my system with RO/DI water so I went to a holding tank which will only allow a limited amount of replacement water into the system. Only have to top the holding tank up once or twice a week which isnt a problem for me. Just a thought
jolson

Postby jolson » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:15 am

meant to add that I also am going to an algae scrubber as well, had a bio-ball system very similar to yours that worked well for several years but now I have been getting lots of algae build up in the tanks and think that an algae scrubber might be the solution if I can find the thread I posted build pictures in a system build threat some time ago. never updated the thread after I finished the build though and might need to make some changes that I like in your system
jolson

Postby jolson » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:23 am

found the post on breeding system builds my pics are in there somewhere, might see something in there that you might find interesting
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6491 I will update my build if I can remember how to post pics
jolson

Postby Guerry » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:19 pm

jolson wrote:nicely designed and well built, looks and sounds like you plumbed your RO/DI directly to your system. You may want to rethink that, I have had 2 failures where the float stuck open and flooded my system with RO/DI water so I went to a holding tank which will only allow a limited amount of replacement water into the system. Only have to top the holding tank up once or twice a week which isnt a problem for me. Just a thought

thanks for your input on the ro/di what I have is float as backup, I use preasure switch to control on/off. My ATO system is made by Spectra Pure
Guerry

Postby Guerry » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:20 pm

WOH WHO big day I finished plumbing upper level of tanks and water is flowing!!!!

I first started pump with filter sock on overflow side to catch any trash from plumbing and ran for a couple of hours then switched to buble plate

hopefully I will be able to get lower tanks up and running this weekend
Guerry

Postby JulioC » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:42 pm

I would add a filter sock before bioballs. You will not believe how much it collect´s. I use 100 mn.
JulioC

Postby Guerry » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:07 am

Well being pressed for room I did away with the desk and built a new smaller one which also gives me room for larva tank area. This also gives me room to install water change system which I'm building now.

Guerry

Next

Return to Equipment