Does using live food encourage spawning?

Does using live food encourage spawning?

Postby Suzy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:17 am

I am going to see if just the "live" aspect of nutrition encourages fish to spawn. I have been collecting pairs of fish for quite a few months, and only a few are actually producing eggs, those that I have had for years. I have a unique opportunity right now. I live about a half hour from the largest producer of live food : The Great Salt Lake! And, at the end of the summer, the yield is copious. And this year, there are more than ever! I walked down the pier one time and got a ton. But, I got greedy, and got too much. So I have to go back.

But, think if you fed live food everyday, it would encourage spawning?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Re: Does using live food encourage spawning?

Postby EasterEggs » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:41 am

Witt talks about using live black worms in his book taking the proper precautions for cleaning and storage of them. When my broodstock system is set up (waiting on bulkheads on Tuesday) I'm going to give black worms a try. Which particular live foods are you thinking about using?
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Live, huge brine shrimp! Live huge gravid brine shrimp! They are prime for netting in the Great Salt Lake until the cold weather comes.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:25 pm

Awesome! How do you sterilize them?
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:33 am

I don't. I net them out of the bucket, add them to the tank. But, I doubt there is any pathogen that has been living in 130 ppt that can live in my 30 ppt tanks! I was surprised the brine shrimp can go from such a extremely high salinity to ocean salinity without dying. Brine shrimp are tough!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:12 am

Well that sure is handy! I had no idea the Great Salt Lake was sooooo salty!

Where I live there are Potash mines. I worked hauling non-potable water there. I'm not sure where the water came from...I'm assuming ground water or maybe it was pumped up from in the mines. Somehow there were brine shrimp in the water! I could always see them swimming around in the sight glasses. Those shrimp are everywhere!
EasterEggs

Postby dave w » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:58 am

Live shrimp are great food for breeding. They have good fat reserves which means lots of calories. They also have lots of vitamins and are a very high quality protein. As you know they have too many heavy metals but they won't kill your broodstock. There is a small possibility of introducing pathogens, even if you give them osmoregulatory shock by dropping them from 130 ppt to 30 ppt, but generally you are pretty safe. For further safety you can drop them all the way to fresh water, the shrimp will still live for about 5 hours, plenty of time to be eaten by your fish.
dave w

Postby Scottt » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Just my two cents. Live foods definitely help. In my opinion what it boils down to is getting the broodstock to eat a Ton. Getting them so fat, that they want to lay eggs. So, if the fish is a good eater, give them whatever it is that they want to eat a lot of. We've gotten around 20 pairs to start laying this way, without live foods.
Scottt

Postby EasterEggs » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:09 pm

Suzy if you don't mind me going a bit off-topic...?

Scottt, does it matter much if what they choose to eat isn't overly nutritious? My Banggai Cardinals eat a little PE mysis, but mostly like bloodworms. Won't touch any other foods. I recently lost the female (I think) because I quit feeding bloodworms. The remaining male acts hungry and gobbles food, but spits everything but bloodworms out.

On a side note - I am allergic to two things...penicillin and bloodworms! If I feed my tanks bloodworms I have to take a 24 hour allergy medication or I will end up stuffing a bottle brush up my nose to relieve the itching and sneezing. It causes an around the clock reaction as I become allergic to the tanks even when no food is out.
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:34 am

Ouch! No more blood worms for your fish!

There are many other things they will eat. It s hard with finicky fish but better to lose the fish than risk an allergic reaction. The reactions can get worse, and could cause your throat and airway to swell. Not good!

I have noticed most fish begin to get finicky when fed PE mysis exclusively, and I do know some professional aquarists who use it rarely. It was very popular for seahorses for a long time, but on necropsy, a lot of us were losing fish to fatty tumors. I still use it, but only for really active fish that are actively growing. An animal who does little compared to his natural life in the ocean does not need a high fat diet. No more than people!

I can't start my experiment until the end of the week. We'll see what happens!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby dave w » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:39 am

Suzy, as I remember the weather out there you don't have much autumn left before that famous Utah winter kills off the artemia. I say harvest and feed all you can and then fill a trash can to last another month after winter kill.
dave w

Postby EasterEggs » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:09 pm

Very interesting Suzy, thanks for the info. I have been trying to switch them all to a Euphausia pacifica based diet, but they don't like the thicker shells. I really need to start making my own food I think with mixed seafood from the grocery store.
EasterEggs

Postby vwwanksta69 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:12 pm

I read the same thing about black worms. I will give it a try in a few months if the regular feedings dont help.
vwwanksta69

Postby Suzy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:38 pm

I usually have a bucket full for most of the winter, but it is hard to keep a lot alive at one time. So, I will go out there every week for a few weeks.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Scottt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Very cool experiment Suzy.
Sorry about your blood worm allergy Easter, that sounds like no fun.
I don't think I know enough to honestly say how important the nutrition of the food is. I can say, we switched from a home-made seafood diet to commercially available fish foods about a year ago. I really didn't enjoy finding all the right seafoods in the store, then trying to get them all chopped to the right size, re-freezing them into home-made flat packs. It was all very annoying. We now just use frozen brine, mysis, pe mysis, bloodworms, and garlic/vitamins (they also get pellets). We have just as high a percentage of new spawning fish as we used to, and nice healthy nests. I love how all the little creatures are already bite-size! That was the most bothersome part of making home made food.
Scottt

Postby Suzy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Sweet! I am looking into ways we can save time and I think that prepared foods may be a great option. These companies have researched our fishes needs, and hopefully, the prepared foods are nutritious, helathy and not just fillers (like cheap dog food? My dogs poop way more when I use cheap food!).

Scott, do you have a favorite pellet? Do you use live bloodworms? Do you add the garlic and vits yourself?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby dave w » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:48 am

Suzy, how has your artemia collection held up? Have you fed them all to the fish or do you still have some going?
dave w

Postby Suzy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:55 pm

No, my last trip to the lake, they were all dead. I waited a week too long!

There must have been some wicked stink the next week....
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Return to Nutrition