Please ID this Acropora commensal Palaemonid

Please ID this Acropora commensal Palaemonid

Postby Felicia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:27 am

Acro Shrimp by Felicia McCaulley, on Flickr

What kind of shrimp is this? I thought maybe a Palaemonid shrimp of the genus Cuapetes or Palaemonella. Not sure. I found it on an Acropora millepora last week and threw it in my frag tank. I brought home this tiny Acro frag last night (from The Hidden Reef in Levittown, PA), and the shrimp has decided to host on it...The shrimp isn't hurting the frag, just really, really likes it. There are plenty of places to hide, including a dead Acro colony (died before I got it ;) but the shrimp insists it wants an Acro I guess. reeftools.com/news/commensal-shrimp-found-on-acropora/
Science demands something else -- That we shall transmit to posterity a less perishable inheritance.
Felicia

Re: Please ID this Acropora commensal Palaemonid

Postby spawner » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:03 am

Here is the message I got back

"Not a Cuapetes, maybe a Palaemonella, but not something I have seen before I think, claws look very odd."

He also suggests Coralliocaris (obligate Acropora symbiont) but the claws aren't right.

Would need the specimen for an ID.
spawner

Re: Please ID this Acropora commensal Palaemonid

Postby sunny d polyp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:19 am

one thing for sure, that is his Acropora and no ones taking it with out a fight!
"If you opened my head there would be a plethora of copes swimming in a sea of phyto"
sunny d polyp

Return to Photography