Does anybody use probiotics?

Does anybody use probiotics?

Postby angi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:18 am

Greetings from germany.

Some years ago we make different tests with probiotics in german forum "ZML". We used different goods. But all these products were bound to unsuitable carriers, such as maize. We wanted to smuggle in the bacteria into our fish over living BBS.
There were some successes but not one of tested products was produced directly for rotifers or bbs enrichment and marine aquaculture. The idea of improving cultivation/breeding probiotically never let me off, however.

Some time ago I found a new product. It is directly produced for marine aquaculture. Yesterday the probiotics arrived.

It is for rotifers & bbs culture / enrichment and directly for shrimp fry. The good is very thrifty. 1 kilo reaches for enrichment at 140 litres plankton for 2 years. The product can be deep-freezed so long. But actually it does not have any withdrawel times.
You have to incubate 10 g in 1 litre steril saltwater for 6 to 12 hours at 33 °C. Of this solution You need 50 ml for 50 litres plankton or shrimp grow out tanks a day. The specific strains regulates microbiol ecosystem of culture water, reduce in undesirable micro-organisms and it produce lactic acid to enhance immune system of our fishes and shrimps. 2 of the bacteria specism are working against vibrio, too (if my enquiries over Google are correct ;-). There are Bacillus licheniformis, subtilis, cereus and Pediococcus acidilactici and growth medium in the good. No other additives.
I will start to use the bacteria with Hippocampus (zosterae, reidi, barbouri, angustus) and with bbs + copepods. I will make a controll group without probiotics. Sylvio from ZML will test it with me, too.
yrs, angi
angi

Re: Does anybody use probiotics?

Postby FuEl » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:15 am

Hi angi,

I am using something similar. Yes I find that fry do grow faster.

I'll be trying out INVE's Sanolife MIC soon. :mrgreen:
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby DanUnderwood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:46 am

I have tried a few but have yet to find any that had a noticeable improvement.

Which product are you using?

Dan
Dan Underwood
Seahorse Source, Inc.
DanUnderwood

Postby angi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:28 pm

Hello, Fuel
Unfortunately, when I asked INVE for MIC the last time it was called: (still) not possible in Europe.
yrs, angi
angi

Postby angi » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:46 am

Hi together

first tests showed a significant better grow of BBS. I hope I can tell more in some month.

Fuel, if You will start Your test with MIC, please tell us the results. Thank You.
yrs, angi
angi

Postby johnrt » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:42 pm

hi angi,

Some time ago I found a new product. It is directly produced for marine aquaculture. Yesterday the probiotics arrived.

It is for rotifers & bbs culture / enrichment and directly for shrimp fry. The good is very thrifty. 1 kilo reaches for enrichment at 140 litres plankton for 2 years. The product can be deep-freezed so long. But actually it does not have any withdrawel times.

What is the name of this product and where is it sold?

Thank you, John T
johnrt

Postby ReefChoice » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Hi ...new to the forum

Just putting in my 2 cents :)

About 4 years ago I was starting up a few new projects in designer clownfish. I ordered lactobacillus rhamnosus from an online vitamin shop... As well as an aquaculture specific mix of probiotic.... After 3 months of comparison I found higher survival rate, increased weight, decreased deformity and higher coloration in both groups.

Between both groups the results were the same with the major difference being the insane cost of the aquaculture product. I'll post the names when I get back to Miami.

The addition of taurine also increased growth rate and viability.
ReefChoice

State/Region: Florida

Postby DanUnderwood » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:24 am

Old thread. We have been using Sanolife MIC-F for the last couple of years with good results. Many of our customers have been reporting good results as well. Fairly inexpensive. It can be difficult to measure results using products that designed for prevention, especially if you are already practicing good husbandry.

Dan
Dan Underwood
Seahorse Source, Inc.
DanUnderwood

Postby angi » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:28 am

I can only echo the words of Dan. Btw merry Chrismas and a happy new year for all. ♥
yrs, angi
angi

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:06 pm

Use of probiotics in our hobby seems still controversial :?
Happy New Year for all our German friends! :D
Luis
Luis A M

Postby angi » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:02 am

Thank You, my friend Luis. Happy new year to You and all the others here, too :-)
yrs, angi
angi

Return to Nutrition