"Joe's Juice" Recipe Needed

"Joe's Juice" Recipe Needed

Postby ecoreeftech » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:54 am

I was at an event somewhere ans I over heard someone talking about a home made recipe for wiping out those pesky aptasia and modano anemones. Joe's Juice works great, but it is costly if you have a recurring problem. Does anyone know this recipe? Please let me know. Thanks.
T J Baltrusaitis II
Eco Reef Technologies LLC
http://www.ecoreeftechnologies.com
Clarkston, MI USA
ecoreeftech

Re: "Joe's Juice" Recipe Needed

Postby JimWelsh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:02 pm

According to the patent http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/7179478.html:

The anemone killing mixture of the present invention comprises an effective amount of a weakly soluble, strongly alkaline compound, which is preferably calcium hydroxide (CaOH.sub.2) but could also be sodium hydroxide or another alkalinecompound, and an effective amount of non-iodized salt (NaCl or sea salt) mixed with purified water to form a suspension of CaOH.sub.2 in a salt solution. Effective amounts of these components in an anemone killing mixture for reef aquariums comprises:about 1.0 parts by volume of purified water; about 0.35 0.70 parts by volume of dry calcium hydroxide; and about 0.1 0.4 parts by volume of dry non-iodized salt.

A mixture is obtained these components by either preheating the liquid to a boil, then mixing it together with the dry components, or by mixing the components, then and heating the mixture until boiling.

The non-iodized salt may be non-iodized sodium chloride; however, in the preferred embodiment, it comprises sea salt. A typical composition for sea salt is Magnesium Chloride (MgCl.sub.2) (31.0 35.0%, preferably 33.3%), Potassium Chloride (KCl)(20.0 28.0%, preferably 24.3%), Sodium Chloride (NaCl) (3.0 8.0%, preferably 5.5%), Calcium Chloride (CaCl.sub.2) (0.1 0.5%, preferably 0.2%), Bromide (Br--) (0.3 0.6%, preferably 0.5%), Sodium sulphates (Na.sub.2SO.sub.4) (0.05 0.2%, preferably 0.15%),Insolubles (0 0.3% or less, preferably 0.03%), and Water of Crystallization (32.0 40.0%, preferably 36.4%).

The purified water preferably comprises water obtained by reverse osmosis.

The method of making the anemone killing mixture is as follows: (1) Mix the calcium hydroxide in the purified water; (2) Add the salt and continue mixing; (3) Heat the combined ingredients until the solution comes to a boil.

An alternate method of making the anemone killing mixture is as follows: (1) Mix the salt with the water; add sufficient additional salt to create a fully saturated salt water solution: (2) Mix the saturated salt water solution with the calciumhydroxide; (3) Heat all the ingredients to boiling.

The most preferred method of making the anemone killing mixture is as follows: (1) Heat the purified water to boiling; (2) Mix the salt with the water; continue adding salt until a supersaturated salt water solution is obtained: (3) Mix theheated saturated salt water solution with the calcium hydroxide to form a suspension.
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region: California

Postby chuggy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:35 pm

heres a way easier one take some kalk powder mix it into a slurry thicker the better. Turn all flow off use a syringe to cover the pests, let it sit for a half hour or so they will be dead. It works great and costs very very little. It works on mojanos also.
chuggy

Postby KathyL » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:59 pm

hmm. That stuff might not work. These folks sell berghia: www.saltyunderground.com
KathyL

Postby fin farm » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:16 am

I have tried joe's juice with limited results. I get much better results with plain boiling water and a turkey baster
Larry
fin farm

Postby Suzy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:46 am

Be careful. Some ways of killing them let them release spores and you will end up with bazillions.

Feeding them kalk paste will work if you have a peppermint shrimp to eat any babies that pop up. One cool trick I learned for the larger aiptasias is to feed the aiptasia. The peppermint will tear the anenome apart to get the food, and then it will eat the aiptasia too.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby snowmaker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:20 pm

I have used sodium hyd + kalk solution w success, but they always come back. I recently had a 40b littered w/ (at least 100) aiptasia and 3 pep shrimp made very short work of eliminating them (about 3 weeks). That was a few mos. ago and I have not seen a single one since. Even the large ones are gone which pleasantly surprised me. :D
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
--Aristotle
snowmaker

Postby Almon » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:02 am

Nice info Jim, thanks.

Injecting the large aptasia with (really thick) Kalk paste has worked great for me to get the numbers down. But to get rid of them all and keep them gone, I think you need a natural predator as mentioned above, the berghia nudibranch, perpermint shrimp, or I my personal favorite, the copper band butterfly.

Almon
Almon

Postby Suzy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:46 am

Does he eat your corals? I have a heniochus butterfly who is good....
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby KathyL » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:37 am

again, hmm. That stuff might not work. These folks sell berghia: www.saltyunderground.com
KathyL

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry