UV flow rate

UV flow rate

Postby Scottt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:16 am

What is the proper flow rate for a 25watt Aqua UV sterilizer? Its for a my broodstock system.

About 400-500 gph goes from the sump to the broodstock tanks. Can I run all 400-500gph through the UV unit? Or should I run it inline with say, a small protein skimmer?

The manufacturer states 90,000 µw/cm2 at 400 gph. http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/products ... sic/25watt
I've been finding conflicting info though. Some places say to run a uv unit this size at a much slower flow rate to get that kind of uv density. Anywho, what do you guys think?
Scottt

Re: UV flow rate

Postby DanUnderwood » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:35 pm

Depends upon the target organisms you want to kill. 90,000 µw/cm2 takes care of most except some parasites, mold and viruses.

I would run all the water returning to the tanks through the UV.

Each manufacturer will have different ratings based on design. Thus the conflicting info on flow rates. Some are more efficient than others. Keep in mind the effectiveness of the UV will be affected by water clarity and suspended solids. Even particles a few microns can be enough to shield some organisms from the UV. It is best to run a filter prior to the UV to remove particulate matter. Some recommend 1 micron. In a production system with heavy feeding, this small of filtration will clog quickly.
Dan Underwood
Seahorse Source, Inc.
DanUnderwood

Re: UV flow rate

Postby Scottt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks Dan!
DanUnderwood wrote:I would run all the water returning to the tanks through the UV.

I'll do this, and upgrade to a larger unit when I have the funding.
Scottt

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry