A Breeder Pioneer has Passed

Bi-Weekly discussion topics.

A Breeder Pioneer has Passed

Postby vrado » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:42 pm

It is with a sad sense that I announce that one of the pioneers of marine fish breeding has passed away. Frank H. Hoff died last Thursday in Tampa. Frank was a consultant and good friend for us a ORA. He started the Instant Ocean Hatchery, along with Martin Moe in the early 80's, which was the first commercial marine ornamental hatchery. He is also well known for his many books and paper including the Plankton Culture Manual and his 1996 book on breeding clownfish. Frank started and was president of the Florida Aquaculture Association and also his company Florida Aqua Farms.
We should all be thankfull for Frank's groundbreaking work and those like him who were "ahead of thier time" We will miss his humor and sound advice here at ORA.
The family is now planning services and I will post the details once they are completed.
Vince Rado
ORA
vrado

Re: A Breeder Pioneer has Passed

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks Vince for posting this. Frank Hoff's books were the first books along with Moe's that I read. I know that he was a great help to you guys and I'm so sorry. At one time he was also a big help to guys like Joe Lichtenbert. And that man has been a huge inspiration to me. So we all owe so much to Frank Hoff. This is very sad news to me. I always wanted to meet Frank. I remember reading in his book that he was interesting in Native American culture and that made him special to me. But he was special to everyone and he will be missed. :cry:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby DrHsu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Sad news indeed :( Frank's books are a bible to most of us "old timers" here as they were one of the earliest available "not so technical" references on breeding marine ornamentals that was available to the general public. Condolences to his family.....
Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Postby Anthony Calfo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:46 pm

Well said, DrHsu... and thank you very kindly Vince for letting us know. We send prayers to Frank's family, may he rest in peace. He was an exceptional man indeed.
Aquarium hobby and aquatic science author and publisher. Micro hatchery operator (marine fishes and invertebrates).
Consultant - contact at www.ReadingTrees.com
Anthony Calfo

Postby Luis A M » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:54 pm

Very sad news.I ordered fish from him ca.1980 and always enjoyed his books.I could lately meet him and his wife and they were such nice people.A big loss for us all!. :(
Luis
Luis A M

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:27 am

Oh, no. I'm very sorry. My condolences to family and friends.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby FuEl » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 am

Sorry to hear about this. I have never met him in person, I wish I had the chance.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby enigma » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:17 pm

Vince,

Thank you for sharing the news as sad as it may be. Frank really was a pioneer along with Martin. IOH was was the wild west of breeding. I had the pleasure of getting advice from Frank and pretty much anyone who has been active in breeding has read Frank's plankton culture manual. I admit it was what gave me and others a start in plankton. I will have to offer Autumn Hoff and her family our condolences, I urge all who have enjoyed Franks influence to do the same.

:cry:
With reasonable men, I will reason; with humane men I will plead; but to tyrants I will give no quarter, nor waste arguments where they will certainly be lost. --William Lloyd Garrison--
enigma

Postby LargeAngels » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:37 pm

DrHsu wrote:Sad news indeed :( Frank's books are a bible to most of us "old timers" here as they were one of the earliest available "not so technical" references on breeding marine ornamentals that was available to the general public. Condolences to his family.....

So True. Like Amy Hoff and Moe's books were my first books.
LargeAngels

Postby aomont » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:40 pm

I second FuEl, I wish I had the chance to meet him.
His books are inspiring full with worthy first-hand experiences. Condolences to his family and friends.
Anderson.
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Postby thejrc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:51 am

Let it be said that Frank's family can take great pride in the fact that his works have touched so many of us. Without his great efforts and passion I myself would probably have come nowhere near as focused as I am today. He's done a great service for the world and should be celebrated and revered for it.

And while it is an extremely sad event, let us all remember and joyously celebrate the good things that Mr. Hoff has given us all. It's truly a diamond in the rough that can accomplish so much in so short of a time. His name and his works shall not only live on, but have already become a spark of creative life for many of us. He will be sorely missed!
thejrc

Postby fishtal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:16 am

Very sad indeed. My condolences to his family and friends. I wish I'd had the chance to meet him.
Save a Reef... Frag Your Own!
Save a Fish... Breed Your Own!
www.fishtalpropagations.com
fishtal

Postby BaboonScience » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:24 am

Vince
This is sad news but thank you for posting.

Frank is best remembered for his Plankton manual with Terry Snell and his very practical book outlining the details of a commercial breeding operation. Both are not only useful but inspirational.

Then, there are FAF and Aquaculture Supply, essential suppliers for the aquaculture industry.

I agree with thejrc, his name and memory will life on in his works.

I am very sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to Franks family and friends.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby The Ediaz » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:49 am

Very sad news

I raised my first batch of clowns back in '89 thanks to him who sent me to C-quest the rest is history...

My condolences

thanks Vince

http://www.hodgesfuneralhome.com/serviceschedule.html
The Ediaz

Postby vrado » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:35 pm

I have some information on services for Frank. There will be a celebration of Frank's life on Saturday, Feb. 20th from 1-4 pm at the home of Sandy and Andy Drombolis, one of his oldest friends. The address is 11590 74th Ave. North, Seminole, FL 33772.
Donations can be made on behalf of Frank Hoff to one of Frank's other passions in life, Archeology, by sending to:
Archeological Conservancy
5301 Central Ave. NE, Suite 902
Alburquerque, NM 87108-1517
505-266-1540

Just by the responses here on MOFIB, I think we can all see how influential Frank was to our hobby and how many were inspired by him.
Thank you all for your comments,
Vince
vrado

Postby Aquascaper » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:26 pm

It is heart breaking to hear when such a Pioneer passes...

for sure an infinite amout of time premature for his knowledge sharing, yet
not a moment soon enough for his rewards.

May God richly Bless you, and rain piece among your family- Teacher

Daamon
and as always Be Blessed,
Aquascaper

Success occurs as the result of action when it is ones belief that Failure is simply an unacceptable, temporary, situation.
Aquascaper

Return to Discussion Topics