Nitrate Monitor

Nitrate Monitor

Postby Clownfish75 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi Folks

Well i decided to lash out and buy a pinpoint nitrate monitor as im sick of my photometer taking 1/2-1hr just to do a single nitrate test, then to be out of range!!!

Have anyone ever used these pinpoint nitrate monitors before?

I hope to but a bit of feedback for us breeders on here so people can evaluate their true worth as a tool in breeding fish.

Christian
Clownfish75

Re: Nitrate Monitor

Postby Rook » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:31 am

Although not for breeding; I've never heard a positive thing about them. I just don't thing they are very accurate for the money.
Rook

Postby Clownfish75 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:36 am

do you know someone who actually has one rook? I searched RC and the general concensus was they were fiddly, but that is in comparison to rubish hobby test kits that make up results.

I would love osme first hand experience, RC seemed to be reaosnably posative about it. Although alot of people said the same as you.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby Rook » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:42 am

Personally, no; though my wife (Ph.D. in biochemistry refuted that it could be accurate). I've read many reviews when I considered it. If I get time I will link them here.

Also, Andy (I'lll have to find his screen name) may be a good source of information.
Rook

Postby Clownfish75 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:51 am

I suspect your wife might be right, I am told the nitrate selective electrodes that work in seawater is somethign very hard, if not impossible, so it does seem strange it is a low end gear doing it.

I have ordered one already figured i could afford to waste$250 so we wil see.

Ill compare it against the photometer.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby Herbsie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:14 am

Good luck with that Christian. I hope it gives you the results you're looking for. I'm sure you'll let us know :wink: .
Herbsie

Postby Clownfish75 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:25 am

I will indeed Herbsie.

I havent seen an actual post anywhere, that actually says they got repeatable results or the practical long term use of this device.

Should be interesting.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby Herbsie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:44 am

Clownfish75 wrote:I havent seen an actual post anywhere, that actually says they got repeatable results or the practical long term use of this device.

That is why it will be good to hear your experience. There seems to be many areas in which information is not that readily available.

H
Herbsie

Postby Halogen » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:07 am

Why measuring nitrate continously, do you have algae problem? If you perform waterchanges regulary and have a good biological and skimming performance..it shoulnd´t be any problem. /PP
Halogen

Postby Clownfish75 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:40 am

Hi Halogen

I dont expect this to monitor nitrate continuously, but thats not really the issue.

My problem relates to the cost of water, the high use rate of water, to maintain water quality i need to change 500+ liters per day. I am currently upgrading my skimmers, one has been done with a second to come soon. the biofilters have also been upgraded to aquaculture specs and should be able to handle 1/2 kg of food per day now.

My issues relate to growth rates and nitrate levels, I need to tune my water changes and filter performance to the levels on a daily basis, and work with weekly trends, I hope that makes sense.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby William » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:05 pm

Christian, my only advise is that you be VERY careful with it. Over the years I have purchased more than a dozen pinpoint monitors for various things. Most of them were pH monitors, but the end result is always the same. They end up victim to water damage.

None lasted more than a year. They are not at all water / moisture resistant. Why on earth anyone thought it was a good idea to make a device that was meant to be used around water so deathly allergic to water to getting wet is beyond my wildest imagination, but never the less these these things seem to be engineered by someone unaware that they were meant to be used outside of a lab.

Get a single drop of water on it and it is toast. Pick it up with wet hands, it is toast. Even if you are extremely careful never to let water directly touch it, the high humidity of an average fish room will eventually kill it. I can not recommend using them anywhere near water.

If you want it to last, bring the water sample to your monitor, not the monitor to the water. I will never buy another pinpoint monitor, but if I did I would keep it in a room far away from the tanks in a room where the humidity is low. Mount it to the wall and always leave it on(you can get an AC adapter so that the battery will not die), so I never have to touch the body of the unit.
Will
William

Postby bpollard » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:08 am

hi Christian iam in the northern territory and also was considering on purchasing the new pin point marine monitor ,may I ask where you purchased as many people have available but don't ship to Australia,and what has your response been since using it ,hoping you can help me out on a supplier and a approx. cost in Australia .BRAD POLLARD ,Darwin n.t :
bpollard

State/Region: n.t

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry