New to breeding peppermints

New to breeding peppermints

Postby HollywoodDiver818 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:24 pm

Hello. I have some peppermints in my reef tank and one of them looks like its ready to pop. I have never breed any livestock before but thought I might try my peppermints since they have eggs. So my questions are: What do I need? What should I look for? I think this would be a lot of fun and a new challenge for me. Thank you in advance.
HollywoodDiver818

Re: New to breeding peppermints

Postby mikegreen » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi - Welcome to MOFIB.
You'll find lots of information in this section:- http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=201
But for an excellent rounded out guide, I think most of us would recommend that you read: "How to Raise and Train Your Peppermint Shrimp" by April Kirkendoll - it's a really good read.
If you're leaving the parents in the reef tank, you'll need some way of collecting them as they're released, either scooping them out or setting up a "larval snagger"
mikegreen

Postby Kmiec123 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:38 pm

I agree 100% get Aprils book....it is a must read. :D
Carl
Kmiec123

Postby robvdv » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:33 am

If you go to http://www.lysmatapublishing.com/shrimp.html you'll see the second edition is out. I have the first edition, which feels a little dated. There's no mention of kreisels, no reference to freeze dried cyclops or the other more modern techniques which make raising them easier. Perhaps the second edition covers this?

I should probably mention the sum total of my experience breeding peps is killing two spawns outright. One slowly, one quickly.
robvdv

Return to Equipment