which fish can be maintained in hot and cold climates

Bi-Weekly discussion topics.

which fish can be maintained in hot and cold climates

Postby dampselms » Thu May 26, 2011 10:16 am

hey can any one help me on which fish can i stock for my experiment. i am frm india and here the temperature is almost 40 degrees. what will be the most resistant fish. and as well which larvae can be more resistant to heat and cold climates.
dampselms

Re: which fish can be maintained in hot and cold climates

Postby Clownfish75 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:43 pm

black clownfish are very resistent to high temps, but i think even 40oC could be a little high, but i think 35oC is probably ok.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby Hillary » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:14 am

black clownfish is the right option for this...must do that
Hillary

Postby Luis A M » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:45 pm

What species?Black polymnus? :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby William » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:13 am

I have no idea what is involved in getting fish to India, but what you need are species that live in tropical tide pools. I doubt that many/any suitable species are comonely collected for the aquarium trade, but your best bet would be to talk to a collector and ask him to go to a tide pool at a low tide at noon and catch what ever fish he finds still living in the pools.

This July, I was exploring some tide pools in the Florida Keys, and I was amazed by how hot the water was. I did not measure the temperature, but I would be very surprised if it was below 40C. It burnt my feed as I walked though them. And the pools were not lifeless, they were quite a few fish swimming around apparently quite content with the water temperature.

I have no idea if the larvae could have withstood that temperature though....
Will
William

Postby jeff@zina.com » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:22 pm

One issue with temperatures in a reef/tidepool/whatever natural environment versus a synthetic environment like a breeding setup or tank/pond is the oxygen availability. Tide pools aren't going to have a reduced oxygen level like an aquarium at the same temperature might.

Just a thought...

Jeff
jeff@zina.com

Postby Luis A M » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:17 pm

jeff@zina.com wrote:One issue with temperatures in a reef/tidepool/whatever natural environment versus a synthetic environment like a breeding setup or tank/pond is the oxygen availability. Tide pools aren't going to have a reduced oxygen level like an aquarium at the same temperature might.

Just a thought...

Jeff

It is right.Tidepools when sunlit oversaturate O2 and consume all CO2 launching pH to extreme high values.
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Discussion Topics